Power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats a good power steering pump? Mine is leaking from around the shaft seal behind the Pulley.

I went to rock auto and they list several different ones for my truck, which is a 94 1500 with a 5.7. Any particular pump that yall recommend?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Diff' manufactures or different models? These days it's a crap shoot. Go with your best choice. Unless you have some inside information .

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd just as soon have a "good used" pump from a Treasure Yard vehicle as a production-line rebuilt, or cheap-junk Chinese "new" item.

Select the Treasure Yard vehicle for age, mileage, condition. Maybe have a look at the fluid in the reservoir.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats a good power steering pump? Mine is leaking from around the shaft seal behind the Pulley.

Is it an option to simply replace the shaft seal?

I swear I had mine replaced when I put the L31 in my S10, just as a matter of course. But that was almost 20yrs ago and I'm not completely sure if I had it done, or just thought about having it done.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That
Is it an option to simply replace the shaft seal?

I swear I had mine replaced when I put the L31 in my S10, just as a matter of course. But that was almost 20yrs ago and I'm not completely sure if I had it done, or just thought about having it done.
That idk. It would be nice to replace the seal. I'm not sure I know how to rebuild the pump. Seems easier to replace it

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That idk. It would be nice to replace the seal. I'm not sure I know how to rebuild the pump. Seems easier to replace it

There are specialty shops that handle power steering equipment, e.g., TurnOne in Saginaw, MI, but perhaps having them rebuild your pump would be more expensive then buying a new one. If they rebuild it, then you know what you've got, as opposed to the concerns raised by others in the prior posts.

Good luck.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have no expereince replacing a PS pump, but if on a truck I intended to keep, I'd probably send it off to one of the shops that would rebuild my original. I might try rebuilding it myself, if it didn't look to hard. However, I have a a new OEM pump that I got several years ago, so I'd probably use that first.... assuming it would work. It's actually for a 3500HD, not a regular C/K3500.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score