did some painting today.. :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
what kind of paint do you use? do you do any prep work to the chrome?

the bumpers/nerf bars/mirrors were all sanded/scratched up with 150-220 grit sand paper first...krylon flat black primer, sanded the primer smooth/then krylon satin black paint, 3 coats on all pieces..

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what grit do you sand the primer smooth with? did you take the pieces off or did you just cover up the rest of the truck?

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
what grit do you sand the primer smooth with? did you take the pieces off or did you just cover up the rest of the truck?

I used the 220 to smooth out the primer...i just left the stuff on the truck, with the exception of the nerf bars..the rest of the pieces were masked it off with painters tape, newspaper...I wouldn't have used cheapo rattle can paint if went through all the trouble of taking the pieces off lol....this was done in one afternoon, about 3-4 hours, most of it spent waiting for paint to dry...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice paint work but were they chrome? If so I don't think I would have touched them, but I think now maybe the grille needs changed. I dunno I usually like body matched grilles but with black bumpers and gaurd I'm thinking it needs changed now.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
nice paint work but were they chrome? If so I don't think I would have touched them, but I think now maybe the grille needs changed. I dunno I usually like body matched grilles but with black bumpers and gaurd I'm thinking it needs changed now.

huh..? were what chrome..? all the pieces i painted were chrome..the bumpers were chrome, the nerf bars were chrome..the mirrors were shiny like chrome, probably just polished aluminum, but still shiny like chrome..IMO, with the brush guard being black, i think it would be too much if the grill was black, i'm just shooting for all things attached/hanging off the body of the truck to be black, the grill is more part of the body to me..

a lil bit of chrome would be nice
but if thats not what ur goin for it still loooks good

thats what i am going for, no chrome at all...i don't like it...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea those were the peices I was talking about.

Not my tastes I would have left them chrome but your paint work is very good.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
yea those were the peices I was talking about.

Not my tastes I would have left them chrome but your paint work is very good.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks eh...:smoke2:

Thanks for compliments on the paint work..:) i'm getting to where i love to paint..i'm thinking seriously about getting into a air compressor/good paint gun setup sometime..i really enjoy paintwork..

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good to hear man, and looks like you do good with a spray gun you'd be unstoppable LOL. Just gotta pick one up and start painting man that's what I did.