Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of weather, we’re in the middle of a pretty serious rainstorm, complete with tree-twisting wind. There’s an oak limb that we inexplicably didn’t have the tree guys take out while they were here, that overhangs the building by about 5 feet.

While I was out in the garage earlier, looking at how much water was coming in (still no bay doors) - plus listening to the rain on the roof - I imagined hearing the crash as part of that limb hit the building. If it actually happens, I hope it’s a glancing blow.

The limb is thick enough, but not huge, and high enough that it’s going to be a challenge taking it down without a crane.

Not yet sure how I’m going to manage that, but I must confess that it occurred to me that I have both a 12’ stepladder and a battery powered pole saw.

What could possibly go wrong?

But back to the water in the garage. It‘s pretty much scattered to various degrees throughout the front half of the floor, due to the wind blowing it in.

The 6’ x 6’ rollup door is also leaking, and a puddle has formed in the corner.
You must be registered for see images attach

Part of the problem seems to be that the white straps you see in the photo wrap under the door, which compresses the weatherstrip. It’s a bad design. Not sure what the fix is.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I’d cut them suckers off at the flange. The ones in my dads shop doors are only 2’ long. The door in the big shop doesn’t have them at all. I doubt they’re supposed to go under.

And it could be as simple as that. I’d assumed that it was attached to the outside for a reason, and didn’t give it much thought until this storm.

It’s funny to me that I didn’t take a closer look at it when it was dry and the door was open. :rolleyes:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both shop doors at work are like this.
Yeah, I cut them off earlier today. The gasket at the bottom of the door is distorted, though, particularly on the right side. I’m going to see if it returns to the proper shape after a day or two.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two sets of shelves from Costco arrived, and it looks like they’ll be just right. They’re 4’ wide x 18” deep x 6’ tall; and have decent-size casters.

I put one set together, and will do the other when I get a chance. They seem pretty sturdy!

Pardon the leaves that blew in. The bay doors should arrive in a couple of weeks, which will take care of that little problem.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it won't. You'll be sweeping leaves out every week.

If you don't have one, get one of these for the shop. Every time I roll something out of the shop, I sweep. It's still always a mess.
www.amazon.com/push-brooms/b?ie=UTF8&node=14253851
Sigh. All I can hope for is that there won’t be quite as many leaves that blow in there.
I have a smooth surface push broom(inside), and one for rough surface(apron). And yes, you'll be sweeping the garage floor way more than you think.
I also have two brooms, smooth and rough. What I‘d really like for the inside is a 30” wide broom. Mine are 24” wide.

Last edited: