Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're gonna love it when its done!!!!

I"M IN THE SAME BOAT!!!!

Over the past 5 years, I have been thru 3 different garage designs... 2 involved all new house/garage on different properties out in the county...

1st was a 26x47 garage out back of my house... drew all my plans up... hired a contractor, etc... when went to get permit, he said city wont allow a garage with footprint bigger than house... :mad:

You must be registered for see images attach
full length storage loft above.

2nd was new 2400 sq ft house/garage in county... garage was essentially the basement of the house...2400 sq ft with 3/4 bath down there... 1 week away from buying property... COVID ... and not OT allowed! :mad:

I had bought more cars by that point...:rolleyes:

So I had to downsize somewhat and find a cheaper alternative construction method... BARDOMINIUM!!
3rd was 2200 sq ft living space, 3 car garage, and a 56x64 shop attached to back of the house!!!

Bought 2 more cars and my Truck after these plans...:rolleyes:

Spent time going thru perfecting floor plan, finding the perfect plot of land... got a NICE bonus at work... worked on getting finiancing set up... then 3 days from buying the land... sleepy joe gets elected!!:mad::mad:
Held off to see where the economy would go ... BAM!!! 401k took a big hit, lumber, concrete and other items prices thru the roof...etc. so held off to see if it would recover any... froze my assets in my 401k so I wouldn't loose any more.

Retired end of Jan '22, then spent a while re-evaluated everything... looking into even cheaper construction methods of doing shop in backyard again... all the way to looking at properties in Florida!!! So, contacted the city myself this time to get zoning specifics (allowed sq ft, setbacks, etc)

Found out original contractor from 5 years ago lied to me!! :mad: city allows special variances for oversized structures... he just didnt want to do it, cause I found out he was in the middle of an affair with his ***** and wanted to spend more time with her at his beach house!! HE GOT CAUGHT BY HIS WIFE!!! She got everything!!

Anyway, woulda been more upfront money to move to FL but cheaper in the long run... so decided to stay here...

This is what I'm building now... - 2 shops ... 2 2-post lifts in front shop... 4 4-post storage lifts in rear shop. Heat in both, AC at least in front shop... if AC bid comes in low enough, then both! Tons of overhead LED lighting, outlets everywhere.

Room for 14 vehicles in both shops plus the 2 daily's in the house garage, EVERYTHING will be indoors now!!! including camper and utility trailer... (well, 1 may stay outside... old 98 bonneville with deteriorating paint - probably gonna sell) currently only 1 car is in the garage... too much junk for anything else

Construction starts Oct 2! cant wait!!! Finally be able to start all the rebuilding projects!!!

Sorry for kinda high-jacking your thread, I was gonna post my own, but your post got me started with my plan, and it escalated!

Good Luck!!! Post more pics when you can! I will make a new thread when mine gets started...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
4K square feet in the main building leaves you plenty of space for a full bay's width between doors, and also the redneck living room. Just a suggestion. I mean, while we're spending other people's money... :)

A little mood lighting.. lol

I added a coffee table after the pics were taken.. dammit I miss my old place.

Richard

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally.....unless I was doing the concrete finish myself, I would stick with flat. A lot easier to screw up a slope then a flat finish.
That, and chasing fasteners and sockets is tough enough on a flat floor, plus runaway creepers!
Thanks. Yeah, now that I think about it, I don’t think this guy with the garage does any wrenching. So it may not be not an issue for him, and he's not an informed consumer.
Are you getting a curb poured around the perimeter for the walls to stand on? If you haven't thought of that, now's the time. Easier to wash and keeps your walls from rotting/rusting out on you.
Sort of. It’s like a sidewalk curb, but without the curb joints. This is a sketch from the sales rep.

I hear you on rust; it's definitely a factor here. The plan is to have some sort of sealer - haven't figured out which one yet - between the base rail and the slab. That will protect the underside. Next would be to caulk the inside edge of the base rail. The last step would be to paint or otherwise seal the inside face. Hopefully that will be enough.

The curb is a great idea, but a potentially expensive one. It also may give the building manufacturer some heartburn, assuming the above sketch is correct, because it varies from their design. I don't know. The budgetary impact is the main reason for us.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I"M IN THE SAME BOAT!!!!
Thank you! Good to hear!

And Wow, that's quite the project!
Over the past 5 years, I have been thru 3 different garage designs... 2 involved all new house/garage on different properties out in the county...

1st was a 26x47 garage out back of my house... drew all my plans up... hired a contractor, etc... when went to get permit, he said city wont allow a garage with footprint bigger than house... :mad:

2nd was new 2400 sq ft house/garage in county... garage was essentially the basement of the house...2400 sq ft with 3/4 bath down there... 1 week away from buying property... COVID ... and not OT allowed! :mad:

So I had to downsize somewhat and find a cheaper alternative construction method... BARDOMINIUM!!
3rd was 2200 sq ft living space, 3 car garage, and a 56x64 shop attached to back of the house!!!

Spent time going thru perfecting floor plan, finding the perfect plot of land... got a NICE bonus at work... worked on getting finiancing set up... then 3 days from buying the land... sleepy joe gets elected!!:mad::mad:
Held off to see where the economy would go ... BAM!!! 401k took a big hit, lumber, concrete and other items prices thru the roof...etc. so held off to see if it would recover any... froze my assets in my 401k so I wouldn't loose any more.

Retired end of Jan '22, then spent a while re-evaluated everything... looking into even cheaper construction methods of doing shop in backyard again... all the way to looking at properties in Florida!!! So, contacted the city myself this time to get zoning specifics (allowed sq ft, setbacks, etc)

Found out original contractor from 5 years ago lied to me!! :mad: city allows special variances for oversized structures... he just didnt want to do it, cause I found out he was in the middle of an affair with his ***** and wanted to spend more time with her at his beach house!! HE GOT CAUGHT BY HIS WIFE!!! She got everything!!

Anyway, woulda been more upfront money to move to FL but cheaper in the long run... so decided to stay here...

This is what I'm building now... - 2 shops ... 2 2-post lifts in front shop... 4 4-post storage lifts in rear shop. Heat in both, AC at least in front shop... if AC bid comes in low enough, then both! Tons of overhead LED lighting, outlets everywhere.

Room for 14 vehicles in both shops plus the 2 daily's in the house garage, EVERYTHING will be indoors now!!! including camper and utility trailer... (well, 1 may stay outside... old 98 bonneville with deteriorating paint - probably gonna sell) currently only 1 car is in the garage... too much junk for anything else

Construction starts Oct 2! cant wait!!! Finally be able to start all the rebuilding projects!!!

Sorry for kinda high-jacking your thread, I was gonna post my own, but your post got me started with my plan, and it escalated!

Good Luck!!! Post more pics when you can! I will make a new thread when mine gets started...
Including the camper!?!? Now I'm jealous.

No worries. I appreciate learning about your project. I will definitely follow that thread when you get it started!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4K square feet in the main building leaves you plenty of space for a full bay's width between doors, and also the redneck living room. Just a suggestion. I mean, while we're spending other people's money... :)

A little mood lighting.. lol

I added a coffee table after the pics were taken.. dammit I miss my old place.

Richard
That is insane! I'd never get anything done if I had a shop like that!

It's Photoshopped, right?

The pinball machine settles it.

Last edited:

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I"M IN THE SAME BOAT!!!!

Here's a few pics for perspective....

yeah, ground at back corner of front shop does slope down a bit... kinda why foundations/slabs actually cost a little more than the 2 bldgs... but it is what it is...:shrug:

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is insane! I'd never get anything done if I had a shop like that!

It's Photoshopped, right?

The pinball machine settles it.
Not photoshopped at all! That's my old salvage yard/truck shop. Classic pinball machines/arcade games are another hobby; that's a 1980 Williams "Alien Poker" I'd just got through fixing up. The green crew cab is my old shop wrecker, and to the other side of that area is where I'd park my black '94 C2500LD ext cab, next to the inside office/living area doors.

My buddy Tim working on his regular cab/shortbed dually project while his wife plays pinball.. you can see the coffee table I added, lol.. and my '94 3500HD wrecker parked outside.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So clean in there, but I noticed all sorts of woodworking tools. Pray tell, how do you keep the dust out?
I have a 4" dust collector connected to (from right to left) 13" Planer (just out of view), 6" Jointer, garbage can (collects the saw dust), Dust collector (collects fine dust), 12" Compound miter saw, 2 table saws behind them, and a 14" band saw (not connected). I also have a couple 22 Gallon shop vacs for the router table (not in picture) and clean up. It's still hard to keep clean :banghead:

Here's another view. The power tools are on their own "island" with the 3 power circuits going in the bridge to the right so I can walk around between the table saw and shelves, without tripping on them or, in another layout, the 4" dust hose.

Note: with a flat floor, I can level everything to each other and use them for support. If you're working on a bent frame in a vehicle, it helps too :waytogo: HTH

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not photoshopped at all! That's my old salvage yard/truck shop. Classic pinball machines/arcade games are another hobby; that's a 1980 Williams "Alien Poker" I'd just got through fixing up. The green crew cab is my old shop wrecker, and to the other side of that area is where I'd park my black '94 C2500LD ext cab, next to the inside office/living area doors.

My buddy Tim working on his regular cab/shortbed dually project while his wife plays pinball.. you can see the coffee table I added, lol.. and my '94 3500HD wrecker parked outside.

Richard
Yeah, I was messing with you. Seriously, that is a nice shop. And the old pinball machine is sweet. I used to play a lot of pinball. Haven’t been around a machine in quite a while, unfortunately.

Having all that room for furniture, arranged so that a group of people can have a conversation, is pretty sweet. It looks pretty comfortable. Looks like plenty of room to work too.

No mere garage, that. I can see why you miss it.