Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
South VA,

Your garage plan is really shaping up nicely. You've laid it out so clearly that I was
able to virtually move in & check it out against my personal workflow. :0)

Anyway, based upon working on multiple projects in varying spaces over the years,
here's a couple of 'Quality of Workshop Life' thoughts to consider:

1) Windows. They seem like such a luxury, but for me about midway through a long
winter season (when all the doors must be closed) if I'm working in a sightless box
it gets harder to drag myself out to the shop & make some progress? On the other hand,
if there's a window to see out it makes a huge mental difference/feel for yours truly.

It also makes the space feel much larger than it is. (Check out @BuiltToWork 's shed
in reply #7 to see what I'm talking about.) This could be a personal weakness of mine,
but a window in the sightline of where you are going to spend the majority of your time
will really make the place a 'get to be' instead of a 'got to be' space. (I'm thinking of one
on the back wall in addition to the ones of the side walls?)

2) Sound. If you are working in a shared commercial space with several coworkers the normal
din is something that's out of your control. But working in your own space you get to make
as much or as little noise as you wish. When I'm making real noise I always insert the earplugs
and/or earmuffs. But when I power through whatever & now I need to stop and think about
the next step of the project, it is really nice to be able to remove the hearing protection and
be greeted with quality silence.

This is why I so appreciate the latest generation of LEDs that deliver quality light AND are
*quiet*...especially when compared to the nonstop 60Hz buzzzzzzz from many fluorescent lights.

A 2-speed 36" exhaust fan (giving you up to 10,000 cfm on high speed if needed) running on
low speed is 10x less irritating to listen to than a 24" exhaust fan on high...all day.

And isolating the air compressor in a small external lean-to is a huge improvement in day-to-day
overall quality of the workshop experience. I know that they only make noise when they are
running...but the constant wondering if the machine is going to start up & startle you gets old.
(I know, we all think that we get used to the sound of intermittent compressor activity...but the
first time you work with the compressor in a different room/outside lean-to it's a game changer. :0)

The shop radio. Some mechanics prefer no music or talk radio in their shop. And when I'm working
tight on a problem with another I'm in that camp. On the other hand, if I have a few hours of solo
detail-oriented tedium in front of me, then a decent sound source really helps. Not concert quality,
or that spendy...but clear & clean enough that I don't have to turn it up in order to follow someone in a
technical video, or enjoy a Pandora music feed, if you are picking up what I'm putting down.

Last edited:

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would swing that entry door to the outside, not in
I second the outside swing, if you can. Mine swings in and bangs against the truck, do to the limited space I have. You have more space. Rule of thumb for houses - Northern houses have in-swing doors to deal with snow drifts, Southern houses have out swing doors (I think to do with something about hurricanes and air pressure, but not sure or maybe it just gives you more interior space).

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shop radio. Some mechanics prefer no music or talk radio in their shop. And when I'm working
tight on a problem with another I'm in that camp. On the other hand, if I have a few hours of
detail-oriented tedium in front of me, then a decent sound source really helps. Not concert quality,
or that spendy...but clear & clean enough that I don't have to turn it up in order to follow someone in a
technical video, or enjoy a Pandora music feed, if you are picking up what I'm putting down.
The shop radio will be your cheapest add on - I found an old sound bar and hooked up an iPhone 4 to it. The only app that still runs on the i4 is Pandora. Just enough wifi range to make it work. Post #31 shows the sound bar. Once I get power to my bigger shed, I think I will install an old TV or computer monitor and the old VCR I have, just to get some use out of all the old VHS tapes I have. and if they get destroyed, no big deal, they are just taking up space in the house. Come to think about it, I think I will set up one of my old computers out there to be able to watch YouTube. Nope, not going to do that - because then I would get hooked on Vice Grip Garage episodes and never get any work done.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I will install an old TV or computer monitor and the old VCR I have, just to get some use out of all the old VHS tapes I have. and if they get destroyed, no big deal, they are just taking up space in the house. Come to think about it, I think I will set up one of my old computers out there to be able to watch YouTube. Nope, not going to do that - because then I would get hooked on Vice Grip Garage episodes and never get any work done.
How about a 63" curved TV with 5.1 surround system? I have a NOS VCR/DVC Player laying around so I can watch my collections of woodworking projects and instruction tapes. Now, I can only watch my Direct TV wireless receiver from the house :rolleyes:
You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back to the lift discussion. The garage at my work(industrial plant) has a few 4 post lifts that adjust side to side to accommodate different track widths. Pretty sure they are expensive as hell, but they are out there.
It's fun spending someone else's money!!! Love this!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
South VA,

Your garage plan is really shaping up nicely. You've laid it out so clearly that I was
able to virtually move in & check it out against my personal workflow. :0)
Thank you! I’m pleased that it’s come this far, and has done so because of the many fine suggestions from you and the other fine folks participating in this thread!

Left to my own devices, it wouldn’t turn out nearly as well as it looks like it’s going to.
Anyway, based upon working on multiple projects in varying spaces over the years,
here's a couple of 'Quality of Workshop Life' thoughts to consider:

1) Windows. They seem like such a luxury, but for me about midway through a long
winter season (when all the doors must be closed) if I'm working in a sightless box
it gets harder to drag myself out to the shop & make some progress? On the other hand,
if there's a window to see out it makes a huge mental difference/feel for yours truly.

It also makes the space feel much larger than it is. (Check out @BuiltToWork 's shed
in reply #7 to see what I'm talking about.) This could be a personal weakness of mine,
but a window in the sightline of where you are going to spend the majority of your time
will really make the place a 'get to be' instead of a 'got to be' space. (I'm thinking of one
on the back wall in addition to the ones of the side walls?)
You have a point there. It is a sightless box, of sorts, but hopefully a well-lit one. A subsequent revision to the plan is to move the window on the right wall further back to be 4’ from the back wall. This puts it in line with what is becoming the primary work area. The window on the other end is closer to the middle of that wall.

I have mixed feelings about putting any windows on the back wall, which happens to face almost directly south. It would offer a good view of the pasture (as does the window on the right side, or west wall), but being south facing, I’m afraid it might let in too much direct sun, if that makes sense. I honestly don’t know. But you make a good point, so I’ll have to give that some serious thought. Also, wherever I put a window on that wall would influence the placement of the workbench.

Now that you’ve got me thinking, it might be kind of neat to have a window over the workbench, much like a window can be nice to have over a kitchen sink.

And, at $240 a pop, the cost for adding a window is not so bad.

Hmmmmm.

2) Sound. If you are working in a shared commercial space with several coworkers the normal
din is something that's out of your control. But working in your own space you get to make
as much or as little noise as you wish. When I'm making real noise I always insert the earplugs
and/or earmuffs.
I am firmly committed to protecting my hearing, and usually have a set of those around the neck earplugs on when I’m anywhere on the farm. I have muffs for higher dB environments, and a nice set of electronic muffs for shooting. I don’t start a lawn mower without hearing pro.

It amazes me how often I see people in noisy environments that need but don’t wear hearing pro.
But when I power through whatever & now I need to stop and think about
the next step of the project, it is really nice to be able to remove the hearing protection and
be greeted with quality silence.
Silence is underrated, imho. I prefer to work in silence, as a rule. More thoughts on that below.
This is why I so appreciate the latest generation of LEDs that deliver quality light AND are
*quiet*...especially when compared to the nonstop 60Hz buzzzzzzz from many fluorescent lights.
An old wood shop on the farm has 10’ fluorescent bulbs. Even the quiet ones have a discernible hum. When the ballasts get old, though, they buzz like a ball of mad hornets. If and when I start using that space, I’ll swap those out for LED tubes.

Yes, this garage will be all-LED.
A 2-speed 36" exhaust fan (giving you up to 10,000 cfm on high speed if needed) running on
low speed is 10x less irritating to listen to than a 24" exhaust fan on high...all day.
@Erik the Awful suggested a fan, a 20”. A 36” fan seems huge, but I get that it could move more air more quietly. I’ll definitely look into that.
And isolating the air compressor in a small external lean-to is a huge improvement in day-to-day
overall quality of the workshop experience. I know that they only make noise when they are
running...but the constant wondering if the machine is going to start up & startle you gets old.
(I know, we all think that we get used to the sound of intermittent compressor activity...but the
first time you work with the compressor in a different room/outside lean-to it's a game changer. :0)
This is a great idea, also suggested by @Orpedcrow. I’ll just have to add some conduit to the foundation for the wiring and air hose. I’d probably build an enclosed wooden shed, as wind-driven rain is not unusual here. I just need to figure out where to put it. Probably on the east (left) side of the building, or right around the corner from it on the back, for ease of access.

tight on a problem with another I'm in that camp. On the other hand, if I have a few hours of solo
I’m definitely am picking up what you’re putting down. Or, as a friend of mine is fond of saying, I smell where you’re steppin’!

I don’t usually listen to music while I’m working, and often don’t when I’m driving. Silence really is a pleasure at times.

That said, good tunes are nice to have, and I consider having tunes available in the garage to be an essential. I have an old Bose Sound Dock that I’m no longer using; it sounds pretty darned good. It should be perfect for the space. I could also use my earbuds and phone, but there’s something nice about filling a space with sound, even at modest volumes.

I’ll probably forego a TV screen, though. I have an iPad that I can use for youtube videos as needed.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the lift discussion. The garage at my work(industrial plant) has a few 4 post lifts that adjust side to side to accommodate different track widths. Pretty sure they are expensive as hell, but they are out there.
It's fun spending someone else's money!!! Love this!

Yes it is!! Oh… wait.

Thanks for mentioning that. I thought that some of the 4 post lifts were adjustable in width. Yesterday I stopped by my preferred auto repair shop to check out their lifts. They too have a couple of 4 post lifts, as well as an old symmetric 2 post lift and a couple of asymmetric 2 post lifts. Their preference, other than for doing wheel alignments, is the 2 post asymmetric lift. The guy I spoke with said that they could put anything on it. The one in questions is a 10,000 lb. Seeing them all together and asking a few questions confirmed that a two post asymmetric lift is the way to go for this garage.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about a 63" curved TV with 5.1 surround system? I have a NOS VCR/DVC Player laying around so I can watch my collections of woodworking projects and instruction tapes. Now, I can only watch my Direct TV wireless receiver from the house :rolleyes:
You must be registered for see images attach

So clean in there, but I noticed all sorts of woodworking tools. Pray tell, how do you keep the dust out?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question I have is about the floor being slightly sloped versus level. The guy whose garage inspired me has his floor sloping slightly, from back to front. He said if he wants to clean it, the water will run out the front, through the bay doors.

My preference is to have a level floor. My experience with cleaning garage floors was primarily using a 30” or so squeegee; no slope was needed.

What say you, good folks?