Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still shopping for lights, mostly on amazon. I was going to put up 12 lights - one fixture per 100 sf of floor area - but am now rethinking that number. Increasing it, for sure; but by how much? Something to ponder.

Except for the shop lights, and maybe the exterior lights, I’m buying everything at Lowe’s. The breaker panel will be a Square D Homeline 100A with 20 slots. I’m figuring on a duplex box every eight feet of wall space, mounted four feet off the floor on top of the cross bracing where it meets the vertical frame members.

The locations for the welder and compressor have yet to be determined. And since I haven’t chosen a lift, I’m not sure where to put the junction box.

Also still figuring out the exterior lighting, and unsure how many fixtures I’ll need. Maybe one over the center bay door, and one by the man-door.

My preference is cutoff style fixtures rather than the standard industrial wall fixtures that shine light downwards and outwards.

Then there’s the whole motion-activated issue. Since wildlife passes through, which would trigger the sensors and scare the hell out of the nearby goats, some of which are pregnant. I’m not entirely sure what to do. More pondering.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
More light is more better. You'll never have enough, it's similar to square feet. And when you have the doors open, that will create another dynamic with the light.

I put enough fixtures in my shop that there are only shadows underneath the vehicles, not around them.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More light is more better. You'll never have enough, it's similar to square feet. And when you have the doors open, that will create another dynamic with the light.

I put enough fixtures in my shop that there are only shadows underneath the vehicles, not around them.
As many lights as you can afford and wire them so you can have every second one on one switch and every in between on another switch etc, and separate the bays in the same way. That way you have total control on how much light you have,and where you need it, without wasting power when not needed.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still shopping for lights, mostly on amazon. I was going to put up 12 lights - one fixture per 100 sf of floor area - but am now rethinking that number. Increasing it, for sure; but by how much? Something to ponder.

I highly recommend these. I have used them in a garage and a separate shop. Put these in, and you can perform surgery in that amount of light. Not the cheapest, but buy once - cry once.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Metalux...s-4000K-UNV-Voltage-8SL8040/305053569#overlay

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A box of 12 means these are less than $11 each. They're what I used in my 30x40 shop, and they're about right. If I ever get around to it, I might install an additional light over the metal bench and the tool box, but honestly, I don't need it.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPN64GL7/

Trio's lights are pretty sweet at twice the brightness, but they're also 10x the price. That would be a good over-workbench light.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pondering.

Re: Light positioning

The vast majority of light installations seem to put all the emphasis on
laying out a symmetrical grid of lights above. However, even in an otherwise
really nice shop I've seen it where the lights were installed in such a way
that when I'm at the busiest workbenches I am always working in my own
shadow. (ie: The overhead light is illuminating my back, instead of being
directly over the work.)

Given that good light on the task at hand is an essential contribution to the
overall quality of our work, I find it best to layout your various work stations
in your shop first, and then install the lighting so that whatever you are
working on at each individual station is bathed in shadow-free illumination.

And once you have that sorted out, then a few evenly spaced light fixtures
over the rest of the shop will give you the biggest overall bang for your
lighting buck.

From my perspective, you are living the dream. When you're done you will
certainly have the South VA Garage Mahal... :0)

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A box of 12 means these are less than $11 each. They're what I used in my 30x40 shop, and they're about right. If I ever get around to it, I might install an additional light over the metal bench and the tool box, but honestly, I don't need it.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPN64GL7/

Trio's lights are pretty sweet at twice the brightness, but they're also 10x the price. That would be a good over-workbench light.
These are definitely the bargain route but I've got similar lights in my 2-car garage, bought a 4-pack, and they're stupid bright for the money. Absolutely cheapo stuff, no doubt, but worth what I paid for 'em at least! I should probably pick up another 4 and round out the other end of the garage. Will be less useful with the door up but generally if I'm working in there at night I've got it closed.

3 of 'em hung high to the ceiling and 1 slightly lower over my main box worktop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard