Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I just used mine, I thought I'd add another design/usage issue to consider. A safe secure outside trash storage area that is far enough away from house for summer odors/flies/maggots, and yet protected from raccoon and bear nighttime raids, might be a consideration. Just a thought.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More progress:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

These guys know how to work. Their conversations are minimal, just enough to make sure they’re on the same page, and it seems that they’re always moving.

It bums me out, though, that they’re not using hearing or eye protection, even while drilling and sawing metal with a portable bandsaw. I’ve seem a number of young folks doing work on various projects on the farm recently that don’t seem to understand how important PPE is.

My last gig before retiring was with a mining company. They were relentless in pushing safety for all of the employees, even those of us in the office. Before that I worked as a trim carpenter, and was kind of the oddball when it came to PPE. I even wore a proper dust mask if I was using any type of power saw. Never saw anyone else doing that.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I just used mine, I thought I'd add another design/usage issue to consider. A safe secure outside trash storage area that is far enough away from house for summer odors/flies/maggots, and yet protected from raccoon and bear nighttime raids, might be a consideration. Just a thought.
That’s a good idea.

We don’t have trash pickup here, because we happen to have a county transfer station, with compactors and some limited recycling, located about a mile and a half away from the farm. It’s easy enough to drop the trash off on our way to wherever we’re going, so we don’t let it build up.

However, if that wasn’t available, we’d definitely build something like you describe.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Curious, in the last photo, the the right of the door, it looks like it is framed out for some weird small square door. Is it for something or just part of the framework?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious, in the last photo, the the right of the door, it looks like it is framed out for some weird small square door. Is it for something or just part of the framework?
It’s part of the framework. They hadn’t yet put the last of the cross braces in, so it looks odd.

A window is going in a few feet to the right of the door, but they hadn’t framed that in yet.

Edit:
Now I see what you meant. I was looking at the first picture. You’re right, in the second picture there is a 6x6 framed opening for a rollup door, for mowers and such.