Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@South VA not often do we get to realize dreams. take and accept that you could do this. Not an easy feat in its self. be proud....
Thank you for this. I have to keep reminding myself that it will happen, and even though it may not be perfect, it will still be awesome.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I have to keep reminding myself that it will happen, and even though it may not be perfect, it will still be awesome.
man, nothings is perfect, if you look for flaws you'll find them, my garage is not perfect, floor not perfectly level in places. could have made a big deal of it. Sometimes better to go on. Dealing with some kind of repair down the road much likely would be worse.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m checking on the slab every couple of days to look for cracks. I’m not sure how long before they show up. Hopefully they’ll stay confined to the saw cuts, where they’re supposed to be.

My main concern is where the slab is thickened for the lift pads. So far, so good.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
man, nothings is perfect, if you look for flaws you'll find them, my garage is not perfect, floor not perfectly level in places. could have made a big deal of it. Sometimes better to go on. Dealing with some kind of repair down the road much likely would be worse.
My shop building is like this too. 40x80 slabs in this area, tend to move around as the ground does. Seems like we're either in drought or having a week of rain.....

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if it cracks outside of the control joints. I have seen slabs crack on very well prepped ground (tested for compaction), with all the control joints cut as per a engineered drawing, sealer applied and kept hydrated 24hrs a day for a week .
There are so many variables when it comes to concrete, temperature, humidity, wind, sun exposure, even heavy equipment working around the area too soon can all cause it.
It just happens. The joints are there to try and mitigate as many random cracks as possible.

That being said.....it's like any projects we all are apart of, we all see the little flaws, but forget 99.999% of people will never ever even notice.

Can't wait for your dream shop to come to fruition. We are all rooting for you, don't be too hard on yourself or your contractors, we are all human.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got that right. And I’m ok with it.

I noticed after the recent rain that there is a slight unevenness in the slab, but we’re talking maybe a sixteenth of an inch on most of them. One area is maybe an eighth. Once the building is up I expect they’ll disappear.

All in all, I’m pleased so far.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be shocked if it cracks outside of the control joints. I have seen slabs crack on very well prepped ground (tested for compaction), with all the control joints cut as per a engineered drawing, sealer applied and kept hydrated 24hrs a day for a week .
There are so many variables when it comes to concrete, temperature, humidity, wind, sun exposure, even heavy equipment working around the area too soon can all cause it.
It just happens. The joints are there to try and mitigate as many random cracks as possible.
That’s good to know. I won’t like it, but when a crack shows up I won’t be too surprised.
That being said.....it's like any projects we all are apart of, we all see the little flaws, but forget 99.999% of people will never ever even notice.

Can't wait for your dream shop to come to fruition. We are all rooting for you, don't be too hard on yourself or your contractors, we are all human.
Thanks for this.

I’m better at remembering this than I used to be, but still need friendly reminders.

This is such a great community we have here. I feel fortunate to have found it.:waytogo:

Edited to add:
You guys and gals rock!

Last edited:

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I am reading the slab right, it looks like three bay doors in the front and two walk in doors to the left side. Is that correct or only one door on the left?