Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They finally called it a day at 6:30, after working in the dark with headlamps.

The two end walls are now insulated and sided.

You must be registered for see images attach

Apart from the mariachi music playing at high volume, they were a pleasure to be around as they worked. It is impressive how precise and methodical they are in assembling this building, fitting the insulation and siding, snapping chalk lines for the screws, and carefully wiping the chalk off as they finished each section.

I didn’t see anyone looking at their phones; no calls or texting that I saw. No smoke breaks. Maybe they did that on their single break they took for a late lunch. But when they were working, they just got after it.

They’ll be back tomorrow morning, bright and early. The back wall, the front wall with the bay door openings, and the roof all remain to be done. It will probably take most if not all of the available daylight hours tomorrow to get it finished. And then I’ll have a building. Except for the bay doors.

Speaking of doors, I have a lead on another garage door company with a good reputation and reasonably priced, up in Chesterfield. I’ll get a bid from them as well.

So today was a good day in garagedom.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Apart from the mariachi music playing at high volume, they were a pleasure to be around as they worked. It is impressive how precise and methodical they are in assembling this building, fitting the insulation and siding, snapping chalk lines for the screws, and carefully wiping the chalk off as they finished each section.

I didn’t see anyone looking at their phones; no calls or texting that I saw. No smoke breaks. Maybe they did that on their single break they took for a late lunch. But when they were working, they just got after it.

They’ll be back tomorrow morning, bright and early. The back wall, the front wall with the bay door openings, and the roof all remain to be done. It will probably take most if not all of the available daylight hours tomorrow to get it finished. And then I’ll have a building. Except for the bay doors.

Speaking of doors, I have a lead on another garage door company with a good reputation and reasonably priced, up in Chesterfield. I’ll get a bid from them as well.

Friggin' awesome. Great early Christmas present to yourself :)

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The guys that did mine had it up in 2 days, didn't take them long. They did all the sheet metal gable cuts on the ground , then stood the ends up with the siding on. all verticle siding you are doing is really the better option. It requires more structure.Very nice!! They were county boys so probably heard "Freebird and Simple Man" 300 times in 2 days lol. I might have liked some festival music in the mix .lol

Last edited:

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited for you! Been following along since you started this thread. I'm living vicariously through you as this is very close to what I would have built for myself! Looks awesome!
Got some extra cash you don't need? lol

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guys that did mine had it up in 2 days, didn't take them long. They did all the sheet metal gable cuts on the ground , then stood the ends up with the siding on. all verticle siding you are doing is really the better option. It requires more structure.Very nice!! They were county boys so probably heard "Freebird and Simple Man" 300 times in 2 days lol. I might have liked some festival music in the mix .lol
Funny thing is, I didn’t mind the music all that much. It was kind of interesting to hear, what with the accordions and all. It was just loud. But I figured it’s better to have happy workers than quiet unhappy workers!
I say 2 days but it was Aug with long days.

When starting this project in early September, figuring that it would take until December or even January, I was thinking mainly of temperatures. I kind of forgot about the shorter days. Doh!