CV boot tear/possible axle replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay i have a problem... i have a small tear on my left outer cv boot... it seems to me like quite a bit of grease has leaked out of the boot but im no mechanic haha. So i can post a few pics of the area if you guys need to see it, but my question is, do i need to replace the whole axle or would i be fine with just replacing the boot? i know i can get a cv boot kit for $20 ans i can get a new axle for $130... i believe i could do this repair myself although i dont have much car experience... tell me what you guys know and any other information that i would need to know and if i need a new axle or not. thanks.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
okay i have a problem... i have a small tear on my left outer cv boot... it seems to me like quite a bit of grease has leaked out of the boot but im no mechanic haha. So i can post a few pics of the area if you guys need to see it, but my question is, do i need to replace the whole axle or would i be fine with just replacing the boot? i know i can get a cv boot kit for $20 ans i can get a new axle for $130... i believe i could do this repair myself although i dont have much car experience... tell me what you guys know and any other information that i would need to know and if i need a new axle or not. thanks.

You can try the boot kit if the joint is not making any noise yet. I would still suggest replacing the entire axle. I did mine on my old truck, which just basic tools for the most part. It is a fairly simple swap. You will have to either buy or rent a socket large enough to take the axle nut off. Take the tire off. Take the axle nut off. You then undo all the bolts at the diff side of the axle. I was able to wiggle the old one out, and put the new one in like this. Some people have had to remove more front end components in order to have enough room.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can try the boot kit if the joint is not making any noise yet. I would still suggest replacing the entire axle. I did mine on my old truck, which just basic tools for the most part. It is a fairly simple swap. You will have to either buy or rent a socket large enough to take the axle nut off. Take the tire off. Take the axle nut off. You then undo all the bolts at the diff side of the axle. I was able to wiggle the old one out, and put the new one in like this. Some people have had to remove more front end components in order to have enough room.
is $130 a good price for a new axle? and napa also sells refurbished axles for $75 would that be a good idea? is there anything i have to watch out for if i have a lift kit? and any other good tips? oh and how did you manage to wiggle it through? some oil?

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
U can use a chisel to get it loose then use a pry bar to pry it off the t case or that's how I do it