CV boot tear/possible axle replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This sparked up one more question... Would it be okay to just replace the worn out axle with a new one? Or would I have to buy a pair of cv axles and do both sides?

HIGH BOWTIE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And u originally thought they were 130 a piece so u can get both sides for what u thought was the price of one :)

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Well this way you know they are both fine. If you replace the one, later on down the road, you'll end up replacing the other.... :imo: I would do both

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could also by a new one now, and a year from now if the other one fails, I can pay for one new one and bring in the other one and say its broken and have two new ones!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Jeez, replace the one that's go the busted boot but don't bother with the other side unless there's issues with it. IE: noise, harshness, vibration, torn boots, etc.

You could probably repalce the boot if you caught it just after it tore and there's been no dirt or water ingress. But for the hassle involved and a $40 difference between the parts (less when you account for the cleaners and grease) it's just not worth the hassle.....

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Like Hunter :lol: But if you do them both now, you will have that "learning stage" where you are taking it step-by-step in doing the job and the other sid goes by much faster and smoother. If you wait, you will most likely have to go through that "learning stage" all over again.... At least I do haha