Custom vortec intake tubing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve heard of people making custom intake tubing on the vortec trucks to eliminate the accordion tube and vortec box, to smooth out the airflow path. I’d appreciate any guidance on how to do this, what parts to use. And pictures:biggrin:

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i’ be sure to follow as i’m curious my self. I did run across a guy who fabricated his own snorkel on his 97 Suburban 4x4. He said he went though multiple designs ensuring to include a water catcher with drain valve for it, the first prototypes were made from pvc then the final one was a two part design made from metal. I had asked for pictures and blueprints but i never got them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used silicone ducting on the van. Thick rigid stuff. 3.5" to 4" off the airhat then 4" through the 4" MAF to the OE air box. OE airbox had a 4" OD tube. Tuning required in my case for the 4" LS7 style MAF. I ran this setup even with the old 350. As restrictive as the van air hat is, it still made close to 500 hp breathing through it. My WOT MAP drops 10 kpa. So definitely power to be had removing that hat.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Personally on my Tahoe, I just bought a Volant. No sense re-inventing the wheel when something off the shelf works as well as it does. Went on right out of the box, gave a noticeable power improvement and sounded great especially at WOT.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you wanted to shave off the vortec box, you could cut off the tube that the vortec box clamps onto, cut out a circle from a plastic sheet that is the same diameter as the hole, and plastic weld the hole shut.
or maybe just making custom tubing out of silicone is better, idk