Cruise not working in my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was this way when we bought it but since I am having troubles with all of my other issues on my truck thought I might as well ask about this too! :Angry:

Not sure where to start with this. When we move the slider to on and hold down the button on the end (Which suppose to engage the cruise) and let off the throttle; nothing happens and slows down because cruise does not engage. (Slows down because we do not give it any throttle).

Anything that could help diagnose the problem here? Would much appreciate any help because I do not want to go on this 2,000km trip at the end of March and have to lock my leg in 1 position the whole time. (My leg starts to get sore even after a short trip. Cruise; also easier on fuel?)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
On older trucks like your 1992, 99% of the time it is the stalk.

Of the 99%, 15% of the time it is the switch contacts in the stalk and 85% of the time it is the very small wires that come out of the stalk.

The wires are very thin and break over time because they flex every time you use the turn signal.

Fix is usually to replace the stalk.

Junkyard ones are hit and miss since they usually suffer the same fate as the one already failed in your truck..

First thing to check is fuses. Then check to make sure nothing have come "unconnected" or chaffed wiring.

Some people have recovered a stalk by spraying contact cleaner into it, but this only works if it is the switch. I would put my money on the stalk wires.

If you do try contact cleaner, make sure it is comparable with the plastic the stalk is made of or it will just turn into a big melted mess....

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed with above, for the most part; another common failure point is the brake switch. Just because the brake lights still work doesn't mean all the contacts in the switch are still good. But yes, the multifunction lever for 94-older is the usual failure point for cruise.

Richard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Agreed with above, for the most part; another common failure point is the brake switch. Just because the brake lights still work doesn't mean all the contacts in the switch are still good. But yes, the multifunction lever for 94-older is the usual failure point for cruise.

Richard

Good point Richard.

I've had a couple of the early models that had the brake light switch adjustment issue and the brake lights either coming on or flickering.

This will also mess up cruise control.

One guy actually showed up once at the shop with a bungee cord around the brake lever to keep the brake lights off.....:rolleyes:

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good point Richard.

I've had a couple of the early models that had the brake light switch adjustment issue and the brake lights either coming on or flickering.

One guy actually showed up once at the shop with a bungee cord around the brake lever to keep the brake lights off.....:rolleyes:

This will also mess up cruise control.
Sounds like the brake swith may be the culprit. I know my tcc sometimes works and sometimes doesn`t, and it has also been said that mostly the brake switch that is buggered. I will probably buy a new brake switch and hopefully it will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If it doesn`t, well I am sure it wouldn`t hurt to spend 40 bucks on a part that is probably 22 years old!

scoob8000

Reaction score
+1 on this.

Next time your on the highway lift up on your brake pedal and try to set the cruise. I have this problem on my '98. Lifting the pedal works every time, one day I'll adjust/replace the switch.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1994-up there's no adjustment on the switch. It either works, or it doesn't. Completely different design from the earlier style.

1988-1993 the switch is adjustable, and must be adjusted, upon installation. Explanation of adjustment by Chevytech - "On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot. While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat. Let go of the lever, then return the brake pedal to its fully released position, and the switch should self adjust."

Richard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
1994-up there's no adjustment on the switch. It either works, or it doesn't. Completely different design from the earlier style.

1988-1993 the switch is adjustable, and must be adjusted, upon installation. Explanation of adjustment by Chevytech - "On the curved side of the switch, which is pointing down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle when installed, the end of a lever protrudes slightly out of a slot. While holding the brake pedal down a little ways, slide the lever that protrudes from the slot toward the driver’s seat. Let go of the lever, then return the brake pedal to its fully released position, and the switch should self adjust."

Richard

Yup, all true.

One thing to note is the later style brake switch is one mother f to change.

I'd like 5 mins in a dark room and a baseball bat with the engineer who designed that....

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like 5 mins in a dark room and a baseball bat with the engineer who designed that....

Tag me in when you're done. Only done 2 of them, 100+ and upside down under the dash doin some sort of reach around twisty thing with one hand. And it takes both hands to connect the wires. This is after you finally locate the switch, and stare up there for ten minutes wondering how.........

scoob8000

Reaction score
Tag me in when you're done. Only done 2 of them, 100+ and upside down under the dash doin some sort of reach around twisty thing with one hand. And it takes both hands to connect the wires. This is after you finally locate the switch, and stare up there for ten minutes wondering how.........

I tried finding the switch, it must really be burried. Mine works if I lift the pedal a bit. I'll just live with it until it no longer works.. :)