Cruise Control and Windshield washer fluid motor works sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Always helps to give the year along with model (and often engine, trans) when asking tech questions.

Troubleshooting cruise can be different between 88-94 and 95-98 although the module is pretty much the same. 88-94 often suffer problems with internally broken wires in the lever where the wiring bends to go into the column, and the switches in the lever can go bad over time. 95-98 don't usually have problems with the lever. Both generations can suffer brake switch failures and still have working brake lights but no cruise (separate sets of contacts in the brake switch.) Both generations can have the module go bad due to failed solder joints which are easy to fix if you're even marginally good at soldering electronics.

Almost ALL wiper circuit problems with both generations come down to failed solder joints where the harness socket attaches to the circuit board. SUPER easy to fix if you can solder. There is almost never any need to replace the motor (they rarely go bad) and almost never any reason to replace the circuit board since the original is easily repairable. I've seen a couple where they were ran bad for so long that a small trace burns up on the circuit board; once the solder joints are addressed then a small jumper wire can bridge the burnt trace for a permanent repair. And yes an inoperable spray motor can be due to the circuit board solder joint failure, but it's also easy to test the motor alone by unplugging it and using small test leads to jump 12V/GND to it.

Richard
I recently had the exact symptoms that you described. Richard is right. Resoldier the w/s wiper control board. Problems solved!

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that problem with my CC. Pull one form a local salvage yard and all I had to do was remove the old circuit board from the housing and replace it with the salvage one. No need to try and remove the whole unit plus you may not find one with the right lenght cable but all the boards are the same.

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the circuit board from the wiper motor and all of the solder points looked fine to my eyes, no cracked solder. Not sure what else I should be looking for.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard "looked fine" a lot of times. The solder joints can crack so fine that you would only see it under a magnifying glass; they're not always obvious. You've got the board pulled; just go ahead and re-flow the solder on the joints where the socket connects to the board. Easy. Just warm up your iron, wet the tip with some fresh solder, and apply a little fresh solder to each joint as you heat them. If you're new to soldering then you might watch a youtube video or two. It's easy work, but doing it correctly might take some practice. Be sure you're using electronics solder (rosin core) not plumbing solder (acid core!)

Richard

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard "looked fine" a lot of times. The solder joints can crack so fine that you would only see it under a magnifying glass; they're not always obvious. You've got the board pulled; just go ahead and re-flow the solder on the joints where the socket connects to the board. Easy. Just warm up your iron, wet the tip with some fresh solder, and apply a little fresh solder to each joint as you heat them. If you're new to soldering then you might watch a youtube video or two. It's easy work, but doing it correctly might take some practice. Be sure you're using electronics solder (rosin core) not plumbing solder (acid core!)

Richard

Ok sounds good. Thanks again

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Considering your multiple issues, I'd check all your grounds as well. Besides the main one from the battery to your engine...battery also goes to fender, rear passenger head goes to firewall (braided strap), same spot on firewall goes to passenger side frame (second braided strap); there are others but those are pretty important especially the engine/firewall/frame set.

Richard

jpcedotal

Reaction score
Considering your multiple issues, I'd check all your grounds as well. Besides the main one from the battery to your engine...battery also goes to fender, rear passenger head goes to firewall (braided strap), same spot on firewall goes to passenger side frame (second braided strap); there are others but those are pretty important especially the engine/firewall/frame set.

Richard
98 Silverado 4x4 Z71
Cruise Control and Wipers and Wiper Fluid works sometimes. When I turn wipers on, I can hear a hum, but no dice. When CC works, one moderate bump in the road and it shuts off

Arizona97GMC

Reaction score
98 Silverado 4x4 Z71
Cruise Control and Wipers and Wiper Fluid works sometimes. When I turn wipers on, I can hear a hum, but no dice. When CC works, one moderate bump in the road and it shuts off
When something stops working when you hit a bump, that is a sure sign of a bad ground. I have a 2022 Denali that was back to the dealer 10 times for computer issues until some savi tech figured out there was a ground strap not properly tightened at the factory. CHECK YOUR GROUBDS!