Crankshaft will not rotate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
UPDATE: I discovered why the crank would not rotate. I had a feeling that the front most cap was causing my issues as, once it was torqued, the cranked was locked solid. I took it off at looked at the cap and bearing. I don't know how I didn't notice it at first, but the bearing was not sitting in the cap properly. One side was flush with the top of the cap and the other side was sticking out about .0015" of an inch. I played with it for a few minutes until both sides were flush and it was in the cap properly. I torqued down the cap and now the crank rotates good, although I can still feel some binding, so I'll check the other ones as well.

For those of you wondering if my crank got swapped, it didn't. For one, I have pictures of it before I took it to them, and the crank has some unique identifiers to it like some of the counterweights seem to have small bits of material missing from it. Also, this was the only V6 Vortec they worked on over the last few weeks.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I haven't seen one yet that didn't have the main caps marked, but this is GM, so there's probably some weird ones floating around out there.

That does look awfully dry. Did you put any lube on the bearings?

If it's lubed, I'd take the caps back off and check each journal with a dial indicator. Or take the crank to the machine shop and have them check it for straightness.
I took that picture before I put the crank in. I was checking for how well the bearings fit before I started to assemble. Yes I put some assembly lube on the bearings, but I'm thinking about changing the type of lube. I don't like how much it runs down the bearing.