Coolant temp fluctuating up and down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I've never thought about what that is.... or how it works.

I don't know how it works, but it sounds like it routes a certain amount of coolant around the radiator and back to the block again to make it warm up faster.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't know how it works, but it sounds like it routes a certain amount of coolant around the radiator and back to the block again to make it warm up faster.

That's what I find confusing, since our engines already have a coolant bypass. TBI small blocks have it internally in the block, and Vortecs use an external hose, as do big blocks. I don't think I've ever looked inside the intake manifold to see how/where the bottom fits in place.

I think my Saturn has a similar setup.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I find confusing, since our engines already have a coolant bypass. TBI small blocks have it internally in the block, and Vortecs use an external hose, as do big blocks. I don't think I've ever looked inside the intake manifold to see how/where the bottom fits in place.

I think my Saturn has a similar setup.

Same as an LT1. There's a boss the thing sits down on top of. I think the functional difference may be that the Vortec turns the bypass on/off with temperature.

Courchained

Reaction score
So I'm thinking the kooler tstat is going to just allow more flow and not fix my temp fluctuation.
When I've bleed the coolant I have been using that funnel I have also tried lifting the front end up. I've even used the cooling system vacuum filler tool and still no success.

Courchained

Reaction score
Another bit of information is that I'm finding about a 30°ish temp lose through the upper radiator hose. Then it drops another 30°ish through the radiator. Would one brand coolant retain heat better than another brand? Is that a thing lol

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking the kooler tstat is going to just allow more flow and not fix my temp fluctuation.
It does combined with a high volume water pump you'll see less temperature fluctuations. I have that T-stat with a Tuff Stuff water pump and a 3 row aluminum radiator which helps keep it cool in the summer around here but, as @Supercharged111 pointed out, that T-stat isn't even shown for a Vortec in "Applications" on Summit's site.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) it does sound like your T-stat is causing your issue. :33:
Not saying you should but, years ago we used to drill a small hole in it to allow a little more flow when cold and warming up, YMMV

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another bit of information is that I'm finding about a 30°ish temp lose through the upper radiator hose. Then it drops another 30°ish through the radiator.
Measured HOW?

Infrared "temp guns" are notoriously inaccurate due to the emissivity different materials.

Would one brand coolant retain heat better than another brand? Is that a thing lol
Nope. The concentration of antifreeze vs. water makes some difference, but not the brand.

years ago we used to drill a small hole in it to allow a little more flow when cold and warming up, YMMV
Generally not a good idea. If the cooling system still has the OEM bypass, all that does is slow warm-up. If the OEM bypass has been blocked, you might need to drill the themostat--but why block the bypass?

Courchained

Reaction score
I wonder if my bypass is clogged causing poor flow. Also Could my bypass even get clogged?
Side question. If my heater core lines were reversed Could that cause poor flow?