Coolant pipe fitting leak downstream from thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed coolant leaking from this fitting. It is a smaller diameter metal pipe going into the hex fitting, there is some kind of plastic in there and I can feel it is loose. Any idea what this is called and how I can replace the fitting?

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The plastic clip isn't really responsible for sealing, other than holding it in place. It'll feel loose even if it's doing its job. The seal is actually inside the fitting. I found one at Oreillys, but make sure it's the right size, the inlet and outlet to the heater core are different diameters on my 97, possibly on yours as well.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ght-hvac-heater-hose-connector/800401/4257482

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plastic clip isn't really responsible for sealing, other than holding it in place. It'll feel loose even if it's doing its job. The seal is actually inside the fitting. I found one at Oreillys, but make sure it's the right size, the inlet and outlet to the heater core are different diameters on my 97, possibly on yours as well.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ght-hvac-heater-hose-connector/800401/4257482

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Appreciate the insight, my local O'Reilly's has it in stock for 8.99. Maybe I'll take it off and take with me in my other vehicle to compare sizes

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, the original ones are a corroding piece of crap. The Dorman replacement is actually much better than Genuine GM. The Dorman unit on my '88 is over 20 years old, and looks like new.

One hopes they're still made the same way now. Dorman doesn't have a great reputation for quality. They have a reputation for sourcing knockoff parts from Communist China.