Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joegoe

Reaction score
I have a small coolant leak coming from the middle frost plug where my block heater is attached. My question is can I drive short distances until I can get this problem resolved?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @Caman96 said, BUT, right up to the point where it pukes and that will never happen in your driveway. Those block heater plugs are typically pretty easy to get to and replace with another heater plug, but a standard welch plug is typically harder to install. Very clean hole for sure and a freeze/welch plug install tool may be needed. It is not for the faint at heart if never have done before BUT there is always the first time for everybody.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the coolant level topped-off. Maybe put extra in the overflow bottle.

"I" would be looking at another block heater. If it was leaking from the edge, you could buy a new O-ring. Leaking from the center is harder to patch.

You could verify the tightness of the center bolt. If you were REALLY lucky, tightening the bolt would seal the leak. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN.

Last edited: