Convenience Center Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevilex

Reaction score
Came up with a simple 2 relay series/parallel circuit to do it. Runs the lights off ign power in series - 6 volts. I put a diode off the headlight relay to the “100% power” trigger of the driving lights.
Do you mind posting the wiring diagram?

I'm adding these as reverse lights and it may be cool to have a high/low switch.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to disconnect it from the engine side. There are white and black connectors under the master cylinder.

You must be registered for see images attach

The white part is the back part of the convenience center and has two screws holding it on. One is to the upper right (hole in photo above) and the other is to the lower left.

The black connector has a torx screw in the center (red arrow) which I think is captive. Loosen it and the black portion pulls off.

The white part stays in place and is pushed into the cab, disconnect the clips that you mentioned on the convenience center to separate it in there.

There are a few harnesses that attach to the white part that may need to be removed first, depending on how much you need to push the white part in. Those are the harnesses to the wipers, cruise control and a few others. One is tucked way down under the brake booster.

Removing the fender well bolts holding the relay center allows it to move out of the way. Might help with access.
I have an '89. The connectors on the back of the convenience center are different. Anybody know how to disconnect the connectors?
Thanks!

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got it figured out. Top right and bottom left use 5.5mm screws. They attach the convenience center to the firewall. The black connector is actually 3 separate connectors that are combined into one . The screw in the middle (surprisingly, is 1/4", not metric) holds the engine compartment connector to the inside convenience center. There is a clip on either side of the connector that needs to be pushed towards the center of the connector. Once all the screws are removed, the connectors are disconnected and the clips pushed in, then you can just push the convenience center into the inside of the cab.

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_174634765_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230819_174634765_HDR.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230819_174420703_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230819_174420703_HDR.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 19

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ok, got it figured out. Top right and bottom left use 5.5mm screws. They attach the convenience center to the firewall. The black connector is actually 3 separate connectors that are combined into one . The screw in the middle (surprisingly, is 1/4", not metric) holds the engine compartment connector to the inside convenience center. There is a clip on either side of the connector that needs to be pushed towards the center of the connector. Once all the screws are removed, the connectors are disconnected and the clips pushed in, then you can just push the convenience center into the inside of the cab.
5.5s, so they did use them for something besides the blower motor....