Considering Cheaper Crate Engine .. Yes/No? Opinions please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigg G has it right,the cheapest & easiest way is rebuild what you have.i just got done doing this build to my truck.I used the edelbrock tbi cam/lifter set & edelbrock #7800 timing set from summit for less than $180.Look on craigs list for a edelbrock tbi intake you should be able to find a good used one for around $100.
I have about $2000 total in rebuild,but that includes new motor mounts,pacesetter shorty headers,all new steering components tie rod end to tie rod end,having starter rebuilt with new brushes & solenoid,new oil cooler lines,new a/c clutch,new idler pulleys,new melling oil pump & pickup,20 over pistons & rings,cam bearings,front seal & filter/gasket for trans,all new hoses,knock sensor,oil pressure sensor,water temp sensor,all machine work & gasket kits.
I did this build cus its a daily driver & I wanted dependability.It runs & sounds great,gets better gas mileage & has more pulling power than stock.Computer & all wiring remains untouched
If you think this is the way you want to go let me know & I can tell you exactly what parts I used & how much/where I got 'um.
Good luck.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any idea how much power you added to your engine? I don't know much about engines and I was kind of hoping to learn as I go. I'm looking more for hp's than torque as well. As far as the edelbrock tbi cam/lifter & timing set you went with, how hard was install, and which series did you use for the cam/lifter? performer? did you notice a significant increase in power at all? Also, what do you think of the holley tbi kit?

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure of hp gains I guess if you contact edelbrock they would know.The part #s are 3702 for cam/lifter kit,7800 for timing chain,& 3704 for intake.like I said its a daily driver & being reliable was the most important aspect to the build.There was an increase in gas mileage & performance.Its noticeable but not earth shattering.I chose that cam because its a direct replacement,so I didn't need to do any reprogramming to ecm & the power band goes from idle-5500 rpms where factory is idle-4500rpms & for the $125 for cam/lifter kit & $40.50 for the timing set you can't beat the bang for the buck.Just make sure you match cam to intake or it will all be for nothing
Installation is not real hard the instructions you get are very straight forward.
In a heavy vehicle your looking more for torque,thats what gets you moving.When you stomp on the gas the force pushing you back in the seat is torque.9 times out of 10 basic improvements you do to increase hp you will increase torque as well.
I'd save my money on the Holley if your TBI is working fine.Its alittle better than stock not really worth the coin.Rado90 has a real good thread on TBI mods you can do without breaking the bank.Definitely worth reading

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can't add much in the way of performance on a TBI before you run out of fuel.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain I want to modify the 350. I've been looking into the LS6 and think I'll be heading in that direction. I'll have to work for about six months or so until I can afford it, but I believe it would be well worth the wait. That, and the fact that in the end it'll be the better bang for my buck. Thank you all for your assistance!