Considering Cheaper Crate Engine .. Yes/No? Opinions please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey there I've been looking at crate engines somewhat lately and came across this GM Performance crate engine at summit racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12499529/

Now, I'm not to intelligent when it comes to this area of the truck, thus why I was looking for a crate engine. And honestly, for the price, to me this seems like the best bang for my buck, but before going any further I'd like to get all your opinions on it. Is it a good deal, or a total waste of cash?

Additionally, it's stated to be approximately 290 horsepower. What would be some simple modifications I could do to get it to be 300+ horsepower?

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine is a decent deal comparing that junkyard motors are 1,000 to 1,700 but if your going to spend that kind of money on it just put a gen III in it those things are ridiculously easy to get to 400 or 500

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
If you go with a crate motor check with a local Chevy dealership they're hurting bad right now, show them the summit price and ask if they can beat it, my dad was quoted a LS3 last month for his boat for 1500 less than list price.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I would look for a good junkyard vortec 350, with a cam swap and computer tuning you could make more power than that 290 crate, run it off a tbi setup with a carb manifold and a TBI adapter. You could do the whole thing for less than the cost of a crate.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well currently I have a TBI 350 that has EFI, no vortec heads though. Should I just build up from what I currently have, or swap it out? What's your advice?

EDIT: Just looked up what a TBI adapter is, and I like the idea of it. Would I be best off to install a new manifold, add the TBI adapter and go from there? If so what's your suggested manifold? Also, any suggestions for cams?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Weiand 8121 manifold myself, it's reasonably priced and I've heard good things about it. Its designed for the vortec heads. I recommend the Vortec because they are 4 bolt main and they have roller cams from the factory. Otherwise the bottom end is very similar to a TBI engine, they have the same block. The only real hurdle to overcome in any swap of this nature is the computer retuning. I'm going to do a Megasquirt on mine because the computer in a 95 manual truck is the old style 160 baud and its it's an oddball application. In your case I would update to the 93-95 automatic 5.7 PCM and either learn to tune or find someone who knows how to make a chip to run it.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste a cent on a drop in ready junkyard engine because there's just too many negatives.

I'd either build / have a builder build or go with a new crate engine.

If it's a daily driver I say go with a basic stock set up with simple proven bolt on mods to maximize your fuel economy.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To avoid computer retuning then should I just avoid upgrading to the vortec engine, and stay with what I have? And then upgrade to a powerful roller cam, get a new intake manifold(if necessary do the TBI adapter on a carb manifold), upgrade the exhaust headers, and an MSD ignition system? Also that way I avoid the risk of buying a possible POS engine.