Code 44 91 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DylChrFla

Reaction score
I’m been having trouble getting my truck to run correctly. I have an idle surge and it starts rough on cold mornings. I occasionally get code 44 lean exhaust. My fuel pump, fuel filter, O2 sensor, and many other parts are less than a year old. It holds perfect vacuum according to a diagnostic gauge. I also tested my fuel pressure which holds steady at 13psi. Does anyone have any ideas? I do also use an ALDL scanner and could not figure anything out there.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define "ALDL scanner". If this is a crappy code-reader, it's no wonder it's not useful.

If that is a REAL scan tool, the answer is almost certainly in the data stream. I'd be looking at the coolant temp sensor, the short- and long-term fuel trims, and the MAP and TPS; but don't ignore any of the other sensor readings.

How old are the cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs? Have you tested coil output using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions?

DylChrFla

Reaction score
Define "ALDL scanner". If this is a crappy code-reader, it's no wonder it's not useful.

If that is a REAL scan tool, the answer is almost certainly in the data stream. I'd be looking at the coolant temp sensor, the short- and long-term fuel trims, and the MAP and TPS; but don't ignore any of the other sensor readings.

How old are the cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs? Have you tested coil output using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions?
I’m using the reddevilriver scan tool with tunerpro. All of my sensor data seems pretty normal. Fuel trims in closed loop are hanging around 128. My cap, rotor, and plugs, were replaced over the summer. I haven’t tested the coil with a spark tester but my spark seems to be pretty strong. My timing advance with the est disconnected is set to 0-1 btdc.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else that TunerPro (or any other scanner) won't tell you is if your Ignition Coil and/or ICM are good. While watching your log, and it surges, do you see a weird jump in RPMs? Your ECM is probably a 1227747 (Maybe?) which has a baud rate of 160 (only sampling once or a couple times a second) so, it may not catch it every time but, you may see it occasionally. You can also spray some water on the Coil while idling and see if it stumbles.

A new Coil or ICM doesn't mean it's a good one every time.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow, another one.

i posted my scanner info, see how it compares to yours.

randomly had ERROR CODE 45, similar symtoms to your 44

between all of us we should be able to solve,, hopefully.

Last edited:

DylChrFla

Reaction score
wow, another one.

i posted my scanner info, see how it compares to yours.

randomly had ERROR CODE 45, similar symtoms to your 44

between all of us we should be able to solve,, hopefully.
Would be great, I've been trying to figure it out for some time. I do have a spare ignition coil and ICM I could try. Maybe there will be a difference there. However, everything on my ignition system was replaced just a couple months ago.

Last edited: