Clunking on deceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Driveline Clunk has long been part these trucks illustrious careers. I remember when my 98 Sierra was doing this with really low mileage back in 2000. I took it into dealership and they basically said nothing they could do, it was very common. Just Google GM Driveline Clunk. My current 96 K1500 will occasionally do it, but I’ve learned how to mostly avoid it.
I think it is mostly prevalent with the GMT400 leaf spring set ups. Not saying the noise is just GMT400, but is the most prevalent.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is mostly prevalent with the GMT400 leaf spring set ups. Not saying the noise is just GMT400, but is the most prevalent.
I was just reading a TSB on Driveline Clunk for a 2023, and for other years 2000-2014. My 2018 would do it too.

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driveline Clunk has long been part these trucks illustrious careers. I remember when my 98 Sierra was doing this with really low mileage back in 2000. I took it into dealership and they basically said nothing they could do, it was very common. Just Google GM Driveline Clunk. My current 96 K1500 will occasionally do it, but I’ve learned how to mostly avoid it. They did come out with a Nickel Plated Yoke that some had success with while others re-greased their yokes occasionally.
After some light reading and consideration I’m willing to say that my problem isn’t the generic driveline clunk. Almost every one I see says “on acceleration from a stop” but mines decel only. Also it’s apparently cause by the yoke getting caught on crud and buildup on the output shaft I can also throw that out considering my transfer case was completely rebuilt with nothing being factory other than the case and the inside of my yoke appeared to be relatively clean. Not completely ruling it out, just not convinced that’s it

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After some light reading and consideration I’m willing to say that my problem isn’t the generic driveline clunk. Almost every one I see says “on acceleration from a stop” but mines decel only. Also it’s apparently cause by the yoke getting caught on crud and buildup on the output shaft I can also throw that out considering my transfer case was completely rebuilt with nothing being factory other than the case and the inside of my yoke appeared to be relatively clean. Not completely ruling it out, just not convinced that’s it
All mine would do it on deceleration and acceleration.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that’s a point in favor of GM driveline clunk then. I’ll try some remedies for that tomorrow evening and give an update then after that I’m doing all 4 u joints and trans mount because they need it regardless
Read up on greasing the yoke and see if that works. I’ve read a bunch of guys saying it works, but it seems to return later after 3 months or so.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Read up on greasing the yoke and see if that works. I’ve read a bunch of guys saying it works, but it seems to return later after 3 months or so.
That noise is also common on the GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon with rear coils and trailing arms, if the yoke is filthy and needs lubed.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I guess that’s a point in favor of GM driveline clunk then. I’ll try some remedies for that tomorrow evening and give an update then after that I’m doing all 4 u joints and trans mount because they need it regardless
That transmission mount needs help.

Jason_Staggs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update after a week of rain and not being able to work on my truck. I took the rear driveshaft out and looked at the splines on it and everything appeared to be clean but I slapped some grease in it anyway and it’s still doing it. Seems to do it every time I put it in reverse and let off the clutch also. I had a buddy try and listen for where it’s coming from and he says it sounds like it’s coming from the very middle of the truck near the transfer case so I guess maybe transmission mount is next considering how absolutely terrible it looks

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Transfer case slop. Some is acceptable. Some not. Can you post an audio video?