Cleaning up auxiliary wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1996 Chevy k1500 currently has a set of Ford Windstar fans that for the last couple years have worked great. I recently found a set of gm fans I like better and I think will fit better.

To do this I will have to redo some wiring and I would like to clean it up while I’m at it. The fans I have came off a 07 Silverado, I got the fan harness and relay box with it. Currently the fans I have are being switched by a Hayden 2 fan 2 speed harness. But I am told the controller isn’t made to handle the amps that the wondstar fan draws and I believe that In the long run it will not last the way it’s setup

Question 1: does anyone know of a adjustable thermostatic switch that would work with the new setup?

The fan controller I have now will work but I will need to add two relays to change a positive signal to a ground because the new fans use a ground to signal on off. Doing this will make a high current draw through the controller to a low current as it would be only used to signal the fans off and on.

My next issue is where is everyone putting there auxiliary wiring at? Right now I just have them stashed in various places and would like to consolidate them in one place.

This is one option I am considering:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D75NTRZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AXLGOOZETAMFW&psc=1

Thanks in advance

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same setup out of an ‘05 and luckily I was able to get it with the factory relays. Currently have it sitting under the pcm. Doesn’t get in the way of anything and it’s out of sight. Don’t remember which pin it was on the pcm but I ended up using the one for the auxiliary fan for low stage and then 1 relay to switch the input to ground for when the a/c compressor turns on for high speed. That one is also sitting under the pcm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn’t even think of that I’ll have to check that idea out.

Are you running the fans off the auxiliary post of the fuse box or right from the battery? Do you have it set up for high too?

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it was off the battery but now that I think about it, will have to double check.

As for high speed, yes I do. That’s the single relay I have sitting under the pcm along side the factory relay setup. Placed it there and ran wire over to by the compressor to avoid having try and hide it elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pj_k1500

Reaction score
Any pictures of your set up would be greatly appreciated. Thinking about doing this to my 94 TBI

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree pics would be awesome. I have the fans and the harnnes but it might be a week or two before I get to doing it

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing my fan. It turned out well but did not fit quite as well as I had wanted but with some fabrication and trimming it worked out great.

I made a new top shroud piece out of 16 gauge sheet metal and used angle iron to make a spot for the top of the fan to bolt to.

The bottom I again used angle iron and bolted it to the bottom of the fan with nylon nuts and as big of a washer as I could get on there just because it’s plastic. I then bolted the angle iron to existing holes in the bottom of the radiator support.

I got the donor fan controller with the fan, the only issue I had was that it used a ground signal instead of positive signal and it also didn’t have a switch nor did I have a way to hook it to the pcm. So I used the Hayden fan controller I already had wired in and just added some more relays to convert the signal to negative. And was able to store the wires under the pcm. It’s still a mess but I will clean it up more when it’s not freezing outside.

If I remember correctly there is actually 3 different modes possible on these fans. One wire is for low speed, if you ground the other wire alone it will give you one fan on high speed and one on low, if you ground both wires it gives you high speed on both fans. The signal wires are green and blue but I don’t recall which is which.

So far I am very happy with it. It looks a lot cleaner and the fans are a lot quieter than my fordwindstar fans were

You must be registered for see images attach