Chilton or Haynes manual?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 96 GMC K3500 CCLB with a 7.4 and my wife has an obs 99 Yukon with a 5.7 and it seems like the Chilton and Haynes manual cover both but having never owned any manual I don't know which is better coverage or some pros and cons. I can't find any locally to kind of preview so it would just be a blind amazon purchase at this point so help me out and give me some good insight on your experiences. Thanks guys

Bryce

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
As a whole, I've always felt Chiltons has always been a little more detailed. I used to have a ton of manuals that I got in a vehicle trade, over 100 of them. They are all packed away in storage now. Either way, one of them is better than none. There are far better options out there, but you have to pay for those services. We use identifix and motologic at work. Both run around 35-40 a month iirc. I can't remember for sure.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Check ebay for a factory service manual. They are the best and detail for the vehicle. I have scrapped my old Chilton and Haynes manuals after getting a taste of the FSM's.

If no choice then I would get one and the other when you can, each has something that the other does not cover. But trust me the FSM is worlds better than either of them.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check ebay for a factory service manual. They are the best and detail for the vehicle. I have scrapped my old Chilton and Haynes manuals after getting a taste of the FSM's.

If no choice then I would get one and the other when you can, each has something that the other does not cover. But trust me the FSM is worlds better than either of them.
Oh OK. So are the factory service manuals specific to year and model or do they have a range of years and options they support? Is it something that a tinkerer and not a trained mechanic can read or does it require a higher level training /knowledge

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Year/model specific. In my opinion they are worded in the same way as a Chilton or Haynes manual. Plus You can always ask a question here if something is not easily understood from the manual. Some of the diagnostics tests in the book(s) will be using a Tech 2 scanner but for most of what you will be doing these books will have the info you need to trace out and repair the problem.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to suck up the cost and bought a 1998 C/K factory service manual set that should cover both vehicles engine, trans, etc.

It was 110 for the 4 manuals and they are thick!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are going to be a few significant differences in 1998 vs. your 1996, but the majority of the content will apply. Your wife's 1999 classic will match up fine.

1998 will have the Passlock antitheft system (first year for it) and EVO (electronically variable orifice, aka speed-sensitive) steering (2nd year for it) while your 1996 does not. Also no passenger airbag on the 1996 but a 3500 wouldn't have them anyway. May be a few other differences. If I recall, the auxiliary cooling fan on a 1996 7.4 is tripped by a temp switch in the passenger side head; 1997- or 1998-up are PCM-controlled, so there will be wiring differences under the hood for that. Your fuel pump and lines are different, being the old style sender while mid-1997-up trucks use the integrated style.

Good move though as I fully agree, the factory manuals are your best choice. Not perfect, but miles better than Chilton or Haynes.

Richard

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I knew about the EVO steering because I have done some work on her Yukon. I hate it and am so glad my truck doesn't have it. It's too sensitive for my taste.

I figured it would be mostly relevant for both vehicles and that the Chilton and Haynes manual cover a huge spread of years so I was much better off even having a few inaccuracies.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my 4 manual set on Friday and man... I feel overwhelmed by some of it. The wiring section confuses me with the way it's organized but it's pretty cool and has lots of troubleshooting steps and procedures with good pictures.