Cheapest stereo upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
What's the absolute lowest end stereo you guys would buy that's still an upgrade from the factory 95+ stereo?
I'm looking for a decent replacement for not much cash since most of the lights are out in mine and I would rather replace than fix it.

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
What's the absolute lowest end stereo you guys would buy that's still an upgrade from the factory 95+ stereo?
I'm looking for a decent replacement for not much cash since most of the lights are out in mine and I would rather replace than fix it.

A cheap Pioneer from Crutchfield; not Walmart. It comes with all the installation stuff you need and I think they have free 3 day shipping going on right now.

Out of all the stereos I've had and installed in mine and other's vehicles, Pioneer has been the best in almost every aspect.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
i agree with buying from Crutchfield.com

I've had the pioneer and kenwood.... for me the kenwood is more user friendly.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
I love my Pioneer as posted above!Makes ty stock speakers that much better! Also have had good luck with Kenwood well

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've also had good luck with Pioneer, but I've never owned any of their cheap stuff. If you want cheap, don't buy from Crutchfield. I love them, excellent research tool, but they're way overpriced on everything. Find the model you want there and then shop around for the best price. If you're not worried about warranties (which I wouldn't be concerning cheap head units) you can get some amazing deals on eBay from reputable sellers. There's also a few discount websites that have good prices, Amazon has a surprisingly good selection too.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've bought JVC decks for my last three vehicles from Walmart and they have been awesome. Cost about $70.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I've also had good luck with Pioneer, but I've never owned any of their cheap stuff. If you want cheap, don't buy from Crutchfield. I love them, excellent research tool, but they're way overpriced on everything. Find the model you want there and then shop around for the best price. If you're not worried about warranties (which I wouldn't be concerning cheap head units) you can get some amazing deals on eBay from reputable sellers. There's also a few discount websites that have good prices, Amazon has a surprisingly good selection too.

they're not way overpriced on "Everything" and they give you the wiring harness, faceplate adapter, and antenna adapter for half the price when you buy the head unit...

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got our boy a nice jvc stereo from crutchfield for $89 shipped. Installed like butter... since he got an upgrade I bought myself a nice Alpine from crutchfield and as always it came with everything needed to install. But since I upgraded my H U, now I need new speakers amps and subs:evillol:

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
So basically find the best price on a reputable brand like pioneer or JVC.
I want an alpine so much but I can't justify the cost running stock speakers and a single 10" sub

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
they're not way overpriced on "Everything" and they give you the wiring harness, faceplate adapter, and antenna adapter for half the price when you buy the head unit...

It's only half price now?? It used to be free... Even more of a rip off considering that.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13080PRS/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS.html?tp=5684

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS-Receiver-Crossover-Alignment/dp/B006Y44DAY

I didn't even do any Googling on that one, I'm sure I could find that model even cheaper. It's easy to give the cheap stuff away when you're gouging prices on the actual equipment that much. Also if you were to get the model numbers of the dash kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapters and search those out separately on Amazon or eBay I guarantee that you'll find them for next to nothing. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Crutchfield before I saw the light and I don't hate them, they've got great customer service. The real eye opener for me though was when I bought my red truck's head unit. Crutchfield had it listed for $1300, I found it from another reputable source (don't remember where, I'd have to dig out the paperwork) for less than $900. Needless to say, I saved myself over $400. That's a considerable markup for just some good customer service.

Last edited: