Center drag link/relay rod clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

needlenose

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the front end on my 99 C1500 Suburban and my center drag link is so close to the stupid anti-contact-get-in-the-way-of-everything "thing" that extends out front of the cross member.

I cant even get a hack saw blade in between the relay rod and the "thing". I've only had the truck for about 3 months, but it's been this way for a while because when I pulled it out, there's a small witness mark where it's been lightly contacting the "thing". My new pitman arm is exactly like the one which came off, but it doesn't seat exactly where the other one did. Maybe 1/16" further down. There's no way that it's designed to be that low tolerance.The relay rod is straight, it's not bent.

All the pictures I see online show at least .5" clearance, maybe more. What could be so wrong? The "thing" hasn't been struck or bent. The steering gear isn't loose or hanging. The bar is level, so whatever is affecting the pitman arm or gear is also affecting the idler.

I'm ready to break out the plasma cutter and remove that stupid "thing".