Cb antenna help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Joey

Reaction score
I have a cobra 29 cb mounted in my truck for antenna I have a stake pocket mount (passenger side ) right behind the cab I love the way it looks with about a 4/5ft antenna not sure its a black fiberglass antenna with coiled copper wire anyways the swrs are very high if I move the antenna over a little to the center of the truck I no longer have an antenna light ? I love the way this setup looks just wish I had lower swrs and the antenna light to go off maybe I would have lower swr on drivers side? Thanks in advanced I'm also using 18ft of coax

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to tune the antenna. Does yours have an adjustable tip? If not you'll have to mess with the length of the wire at the end. I have mine mounted between the bed and cab and I was able to get an swr of 1.5 -2 depending on channel. It's not optimal but for my use its fine.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine or the op? The op says his is 18'. I have the same. Every thing on mine is firestik brand as far as the antenna and coax

Z71Joey

Reaction score
I'm running 18ft of coax I'm going to try and get a antenna with a tunable tip I'm pretty sure mine is tunable but the screw up top is seized and screwed up

Z71Joey

Reaction score
Okay good news got new antenna on and no more light! Also how do you tune the tip there is a slot for a flathead screwdriver don't wanna mess this one up too let me do some googling and see how this thang works lol the swrs are higher on 40

Edit, well this is a bummer the swrs were at about 1.5 sitting in the truck talking to people for a couple mins putting out farther than it ever has and then the antenna light comes on again with about a swr of 3 on every channel any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check all your connections and I would also ground the antenna mount to the frame. I just ran a little wire from the antenna mount down to an existing ground location that was close by.

Z71Joey

Reaction score
I pulled up online a list of possible causes of high swr Tommorow I'm going to go through all of them gonna have to pull the Bedliner out too just sucks cause I was putting out pretty good before. it's raining out anyway water on the end of antenna when I was switching them would cause this? Thanks for your help I really appreciated it

Z71Joey

Reaction score
Took the trip to the cb shop got it all fixed up the coax end was bad thanks for y'all's help got it tuned as well