Cats plugged up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never really had an issue with proper sized lead acid batteries. The Duralast gold 800cca in my truck is on it's 7th year. it may be it's last year, idk. I'll see how it does after the first cold snap. The Interstate in my Honda is dated 2012 and still going. I've dealt with a lot of AGM batteries dealing with bikes and never really saw an advantage there either.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O'reilly calls for a group 75 or 78 (or 34/78 dual post), I had the Group 75 Extreme for 5 years until it got to the point my voltage, at the gauge, went down to ~7.8V when cranking. I went to the 34/78 Platinum and it now cranks at ~10+V, turns over a lot faster and starts quicker.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/31624da3221a

I'm sure it's great but I just had a hard time spending close to $300 for a battery.:33:
How long has this one lasted you?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rotten eggs smell is sulphur from your battery. Don't gut your cats. Go to Whamalart and get the largest battery that will fit in your battery tray. I converted to top post and flattened the end of the battery tray so I could fit a bigger battery.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rotten eggs smell is sulphur from your battery. Don't gut your cats. Go to Whamalart and get the largest battery that will fit in your battery tray. I converted to top post and flattened the end of the battery tray so I could fit a bigger battery.
I thought plugged up cats give out a sulfur smell? I am planning on going to get a batter from Walmart though, may not be the beat but it’ll do for now. Did you have to extend the wires or anything to convert to top post? Id love to do that also.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck was (and still is) a basket-case. I just cut the lead side post "bolt" off the side-post ring terminals, and bolted them down to the top post terminals. It was quick and dirty, and at some point in the future I'll replace them with professional-style lugs and thicker battery cables.

Plugged cats will give off a sulphur smell, but so can a bad battery. If you're having battery problems, apply occam's razor.