Carbureted Vortec 454 in a 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m referring to the conversation that Allen4rm and I were having earlier in this thread about the fuel dump thing. Actually about all of it. It seems like he and you went about the swap in totally different ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rpoL98

Reaction score
I think the Comp XR270HR is similar to the cam used in the Car Craft junkyard 454 project (June 2019 issue). Car Craft says Comp Cams provided them the XR276HR, also with .510" lift.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Back in the day, converted my 92 EFI Crown Vic to carbureted. I ran the fuel pump off of ignition power. Were I to do it again, I'd have kept the EEC-IV in the loop enough to be able to cut fuel off with the ignition on but when it realized the engine isn't running. I don't know of any other way than to let the computer handle it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think the Comp XR270HR is similar to the cam used in the Car Craft junkyard 454 project (June 2019 issue). Car Craft says Comp Cams provided them the XR276HR, also with .510" lift.

Not a bad sized cam for a car. I wonder if the torque would be a little light down low for a truck? That's pretty much what I want to stick in my dad's car. I think much more would be a waste on stock heads. I went 212/218 on my dually and don't feel any loss to stock.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

That’s definitely an impressive cam. I’m not 100% on what I’ll go with, I’ve been looking all across their range. With me having a NV4500 and 4:10s, I’ve got a really low first gear that’s great for taking off with a heavy trailer right now. So as long as I don’t make less torque off idle than I currently do, which would be an impressive accomplishment lol, I can go with whatever car really. What I’ll end up doing is calling comp and seeing what they recommend for my particular application.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
While you have a super low 1st gear, I think you ought to gear the cam toward your towing RPM in OD.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have a super low 1st gear, I think you ought to gear the cam toward your towing RPM in OD.

Yeah I agree with you definitely. I’m not looking at anything more aggressive than something in the 260s duration wise. I want brute torque. I could care less if it makes any power over 4k rpm. But honestly, I really like the sound of the little bit bigger cams like in the 250-260s. Yeah I know I know sound doesn’t necessarily mean good power especially for a truck but I like what I like lol

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you definitely. I’m not looking at anything more aggressive than something in the 260s duration wise. I want brute torque. I could care less if it makes any power over 4k rpm. But honestly, I really like the sound of the little bit bigger cams like in the 250-260s. Yeah I know I know sound doesn’t necessarily mean good power especially for a truck but I like what I like lol

Yeah. The "better" the sound, the worse for the torque...at lower RPM. My 270/276 had a mild rump. But it pulled good off 1500. I pulled a 12k toy hauler with it. It got it going very well...but the Burb suspension was not up to the weight of the big travel trailer. I liked the burb for lots of reasons. But, now operating a Ram 3500.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk