Carbureted Vortec 454 in a 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines a 94. So it's a bit different than later models.

But if you run a carb you cant run a TBI distributor. It won't work. The ECM has to have TPS and all that mess to tell it where to advance the timing. Easiest way around that is HEI dizzy. The roller cams needed a melonized gear on the dizzy. The flat tappet cam used a iron gear. (Atleast for the 350).

MY TBI engine had the hole already drilled. Dropped in a pushrod and it worked for my testing. Personally run the factory pump. Regulator with bypass is less than 100 bucks and you will not have vapor lock issues like with a mechanical pump.

I literally tested everything of mine by just unplugging the ECM and see what all worked. Which everything did but the fuel pump and the engine didn't start

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why didn’t your engine start?

I know I need a distributor, I was just making sure the number of teeth or the shaft length didn’t change.

What did you do about your throttle cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine didn't start because I didn't have power to the distributor or a signal to the fuel pump relay.

The factory throttle cable and bracket fit without issues.

It was a easy conversion. Hardest was getting the intake off.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TBI throttle cable thing goes right on the carburetor? That’s surprising but good to hear

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. I used a small bolt because I messed up the clip on my TBI cable. But it's a super easy. My holley didn't have a connector for the throttle cable but my 1406 did. But my 1405 doesn't. So YMMV. If nothing else. Bolt thru the throttle arm, locknut then slide the cable end thru the bolt and another locknut. I used stainless bolt I got from work.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds simple enough. In theory I could go ahead and do that fuel pump wiring now to make sure it works right? That way all I’d have to do is drop the motor with the parts on it already, put the regulator on and hook everything up. Should be a weekend job if I get the motor totally ready on the engine stand

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. My 93 3500 has a aftermarket relay. Basic basic thing. Grab a ignition hot for your trigger and the 12v source to the battery. Then your 86 hook it up to one leg of the fuel pump (one of the gray wires). Make sure the relay is grounded and fused. Then unplug the factory relay. My 93 has had it done since early 2000s and my 94 has had it done for a few days now. My 93 I actually was running a wire from the batt to one side of the fuse and leaving the fuse out (wire was fused) for a few days until I found out the relay plug was shot.

It's super simple. If you have experience doing wiring and engine work. It's easy.

Chillin Dylan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay sounds great! I will move forward with buying that motor from my buddy and getting a parts list together. Maybe I can get it done before winter sets in. If not I’ll just take my time over the winter getting parts and making sure the motor is good everywhere. Should be though it was in his suburban that he bought new in 99 and a blue occasionally towed with it. Been sitting in his garage for a few years as a spare for his current suburban that he got when the first one was totaled. Only got 129k on it