Can't seem to fully bleed brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the calipers, rotors, and pads on my 94 k1500 burban today and spent 2+ hours bleeding the calipers using a hand pump, the fluid never ran clear/without bubbles and my brakes are spongy as hell and I can't feel them bite. I gave up for the night as my hands started to cramp from sqeezing the pump about a million times. My brakes worked before but one of the calipers was frozen, which is why I went ahead and did a full swap up front. I was definitely pulling fluid, I had to refill the reservoir a couple of times. I'm going to get a friend to help me bleed them the old fashioned way tomorrow but I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas as to what the hell is going on. Do these calipers hold an insane amount of fluid? Any input is greatly appreciated!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly... when replacing calipers.. I almost always just gravity bled them.. never had an issue. Get it all put back together and crack open the bleeder. Start the other side as the first one bleeds. Usually by the time it starts to drip the other sides about ready to start gravity bleeding. So close the first bleeder and open the second one. Side never mattered to the way I did it. Brakes always where just fine doing it that way...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly... when replacing calipers.. I almost always just gravity bled them.. never had an issue. Get it all put back together and crack open the bleeder. Start the other side as the first one bleeds. Usually by the time it starts to drip the other sides about ready to start gravity bleeding. So close the first bleeder and open the second one. Side never mattered to the way I did it. Brakes always where just fine doing it that way...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'll give that a try. Thanks

Reaction score
alot of those vacum bleeders are garbage. the bleeder screws don't seal except when they are fully seated so you just pull air around the screw while you are bleeding. Pressure bleed, or get a friend.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Ghetto-tastic pressure bleeder. Need a pressure vessel, old master cylinder cap, and some kind of fittings.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells a decent venturi bleeder that hooks to an air compressor. It sucks the fluid through from your caliper. The fitting that attaches to the bleeder screw is rubber so it seals decent. With the '94 gravity bleed is the way to go, no need for anything.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I made my own from an old garden sprayer and stuff I had laying around.Works quite well.Not that hard to do.

You must be registered for see images attach

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your replies. I got sidetracked on Sunday and didn't get a chance to mess with it, luckily it's not my daily driver. I'll be taking another crack at it on Friday.