CAN I CUT MY EXHAUST OFF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the Exhaust sub-forum.

Removing a functional catalyst, or removing but not replacing a non-functional catalyst is against Federal law. It is illegal in 50 states, and probably US Territories and Possessions. If the Feds want you, you've given them a perfect opportunity.

You're required to have the same number of catalysts, in the same location as the vehicle was engineered with, unless you've got an "approved" modification complete with EPA or CARB exemption sticker.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the Exhaust sub-forum.

Removing a functional catalyst, or removing but not replacing a non-functional catalyst is against Federal law. It is illegal in 50 states, and probably US Territories and Possessions. If the Feds want you, you've given them a perfect opportunity.

You're required to have the same number of catalysts, in the same location as the vehicle was engineered with, unless you've got an "approved" modification complete with EPA or CARB exemption sticker.
Calm down. I didn't know it was that big of a thing. My exhaust is factory it was a completely hypothetical scenario. Holy Cow man.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you’re in a place that tests emissions, the feds won’t know unless you get an inspection by a stickler. They’re not out crawling under vehicles looking for violations. I did have an inspector once decline me because I had a hole in my cat. I now go to one more lenient, as in he don’t even check the truck. He just takes the money & gives you a sticker.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you’re in a place that tests emissions, the feds won’t know unless you get an inspection by a stickler. They’re not out crawling under vehicles looking for violations. I did have an inspector once decline me because I had a hole in my cat. I now go to one more lenient, as in he don’t even check the truck. He just takes the money & gives you a sticker.
I guess schurkey didn't get the memo.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know
Now you do.

If hearing the truth of Government over-reach offends you, don't biitch at me, write to your Congress Critters and demand that the EPA be given a kick in the asp, and dramatically reduced authority.

Pete "The Dirtbag" Butt-gig is another than needs the Dreaded Dingo in the A_zz, but maybe he prefers gerbils.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you’re in a place that tests emissions, the feds won’t know unless you get an inspection by a stickler. They’re not out crawling under vehicles looking for violations.

Agreed.

My concern would be "What happens when I try sell this truck and it's not compliant? Will it need to be made compliant?"

Here in IL I know those rules, at least how they exist today.

In other states it could be better or worse.

I was somewhere recently (Colorado I believe) where I saw one of those drive-by emissions units situated on an on-ramp. I don't know how "smart" those things are... if they're just profiling the aggregate emissions or if they're checking each vehicle... and maybe taking pictures of license plates too.

If they aren't checking each vehicle now, they may in the future.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not deliberately. Never listened to his show.
Back sometime in the early 90s, I can't remember exactly when, he ran that story of a guy in San Francisco who went to the hospital with a gerbil stuck up his ass. Rush played that up for weeks, months, and maybe even years, IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.