CAN I CUT MY EXHAUST OFF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My exhaust on my truck is stock from the engine to the cat. Then cut off around the back of the cab with a flowmaster Super 10 short type muffler. It only has one o2 sensor and it's on the front of the cat. If I cut it off in front of the cat I would have around 1 inch to weld new pipe to and get rid of the cat. Is that a problem or not?

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on where you live or what your feelings are on the environment . Is there a reason you wanna go without the cat?

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to put it out there-any vehicle equipped with a catalytic converter must have one in place per federal law to be street legal as I understand it...
That said, I bought my truck with a “cat delete” exhaust last fall and it leaked everywhere. I just replaced everything starting at the donut gaskets and bought a new stock Y pipe which had the O2 fitting. I bought a new stock tailpipe and to go between the Y pipe and tailpipe, nearly 7 feet of 3” and the largest 3” inlet/outlet muffler I could find. This was on a 95 3500 CCLB with 7.4l. So far no issues. We don’t have inspections here and I could probably get away leaving like this but I’m leaning toward putting a cat back in at some point.

I have some rust to repair in the floor so had easy access for the attached pic.

Attachments

• DE9083BD-BBA7-4E04-9A53-BC6BC4982077.jpeg
    DE9083BD-BBA7-4E04-9A53-BC6BC4982077.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 29

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My exhaust on my truck is stock from the engine to the cat. It only has one o2 sensor and it's on the front of the cat. If I cut it off in front of the cat I would have around 2 inches to weld new pipe and get rid of the cat.

Mount your O2 sensor in the same location. I see no issues.

I did something similar to a 1995 V6 4.3L S10 but I came to regret it. It ran fine, but it stunk... it smelled like a 60's Chevy (think "unburned hydrocarbons") and stunk up the garage, wherever. The smell wasn't a big deal but I didn't like it (people wondered "What's wrong with the truck?") and the wife didn't like the smell (unhappy wife unhappy life).

I eventually found a new OE cat and re-installed.

Last edited:

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to put it out there-any vehicle equipped with a catalytic converter must have one in place per federal law to be street legal as I understand it...
That said, I bought my truck with a “cat delete” exhaust last fall and it leaked everywhere. I just replaced everything starting at the donut gaskets and bought a new stock Y pipe which had the O2 fitting. I bought a new stock tailpipe and to go between the Y pipe and tailpipe, nearly 7 feet of 3” and the largest 3” inlet/outlet muffler I could find. This was on a 95 3500 CCLB with 7.4l. So far no issues. We don’t have inspections here and I could probably get away leaving like this but I’m leaning toward putting a cat back in at some point.

I have some rust to repair in the floor so had easy access for the attached pic.
I don't know what the law is. My truck is "cat delete" with no leaks. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.