cam swap with no chip??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hi i was wondering if its possible to swap in my cam without a chip for the mean time. im not looking for any performance gains im just bored and want to put my cam in. would it run worse? its a speed pro cam here are the specs Chevy 262-400 cid Hydraulic camshaft, 2000-4500 RPM Range, 288 intake/298 exhaust Adv Dur, Duration @.050 214 intake/224 exhaust, Valve Lift .443 intake/.465 exhaust, Lobe C/L 112
any info would be great thanks guys.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure you can put the cam in , but it won't run like it should until you get a correctly tuned chip.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hes right i did a cam swap in my 96 but bigger than urs i did a lt4 hot cam 525 lift and 1.6 roller rockers and it ran terrible till tune

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah thanks guys i just talked to brian from tbi chips he said its possible but would run worse then stock. so im just thinking about going all out like springs, adustable regulator, chip, cam, posi. all at once.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when doin a cam swap springs are alway a good thing along with valve guide seals and lifters also no since in goin that far and not replacen these things

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Word, unless it's an LS motor definitly change the lifter's and seal's, I would also run hardened pushrod's.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack a thread and apologies for my ignorance but I have a TBI Crate 350HO with stock chip, Stock bottom end, stock heads (for now), Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4 cam Lift .458"/.458" Duration 258/262 RPM Range 1000-5000, Roller rockers, headers, Magnaflow Cat, 3" from headers back, etc...Anyway has run like a bear for the past few years but I have some issues starting it when its cold, economy is more like gallons per mile and can't help but to think it could run better with a change in the computer settings. What kinda options as far as chips do I have and what am I looking at for price range?

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
jet or hypertec offers sum nice chips id go with jets personaly and they run about 130 for chip and are nothing to instal and they also offer a chip programer where u can program and burn your chip yourself

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I didn't really specify. I've considered JET and Hypertech but from what I hear and have researched, there's nothing really to gain and there are far better options. Finding those options is I guess what I'm looking for. I know for 96+, Black Bear and other guys that do custom tunes is hard to beat. I just haven't had much look finding a TBI tune that's not JET or Hypertech and doesn't involve me myself tuning. If it can't be fixed by sparks, arcs or a BFH I'd rather not try myself lol.

Edit: Has anyone ever used TBIchips.com?

Last edited: