cam swap with no chip??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Word, unless it's an LS motor definitly change the lifter's and seal's, I would also run hardened pushrod's.

^Agreed....if it's not a roller, you HAVE to change lifters with cam, that's a definite no-no if you throw a new cam in without new lifters, the old ones will eat your new cam alive before it even gets a chance to break-in. Technically it'll never break-in since the "break-in period" is the cam and lifters primarily wearing into each other. Hardened pushrods and rod guides are a very good upgrade, along with larger rockers(anything bigger than 1.6 and you have major head work to accomplish). Ofcourse new valve seals will help too, but if it's stock swirl port heads...ehhhhhh, ya may wanna do a head swap if you have the extra cash handy.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^Agreed....if it's not a roller, you HAVE to change lifters with cam, that's a definite no-no if you throw a new cam in without new lifters, the old ones will eat your new cam alive before it even gets a chance to break-in. Technically it'll never break-in since the "break-in period" is the cam and lifters primarily wearing into each other. Hardened pushrods and rod guides are a very good upgrade, along with larger rockers(anything bigger than 1.6 and you have major head work to accomplish). Ofcourse new valve seals will help too, but if it's stock swirl port heads...ehhhhhh, ya may wanna do a head swap if you have the extra cash handy.

thanks guys, and yes lifters will change it came in a kit with the lifters cam and timingchain. i dont think i am going to do seals sense i repalced the motor about 6000 miles ago, but i know there a problem with these motors. i also plan on changing to higher reving springs springs.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I didn't really specify. I've considered JET and Hypertech but from what I hear and have researched, there's nothing really to gain and there are far better options. Finding those options is I guess what I'm looking for. I know for 96+, Black Bear and other guys that do custom tunes is hard to beat. I just haven't had much look finding a TBI tune that's not JET or Hypertech and doesn't involve me myself tuning. If it can't be fixed by sparks, arcs or a BFH I'd rather not try myself lol.

Edit: Has anyone ever used TBIchips.com?

tbi chips is great brian know alot about thse tbi motors and i have been talking to him about a chip for my info and he told me i should go with a stage 2, so just email him and he will get back to you quickly with the correct chip for you.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I emailed Brian at TBIchips and 3 hours later I had a response. He seems extremely knowledgeable. I guess we'll see how it goes.