CAM AND TUNE QUESTIONS FOR 95 HOE 5.7 TBI OBD1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
FYI already installed: 46mm bored TBI unit (all the ultimate TBI mods included), Trick Flow Super 23 175cc Intake/56cc chambers, Edelbrok EPS intake, shorty headers/Borla muffler/Flowmaster high-flow cat/Flowmaster Y-pipe/3in. exhaust tubing, Vortec fuel pump, 1.5 alum. roller rockers, 4L60E fully rebuilt with trans cooler, Transgo HD2 shift kit/Corvette 2nd servo/Superior billet 4th servo/9.5 in. 2800-3000RPM FTI Lockup Converter, 3.73 Rear Gears with Posi

New plugs/wires/PCV/o2 sensor/all the gaskets and bolts and many other small items installed. My biggest questions left are what cam to choose but mainly HOW TO TUNE ALL THIS TO MAKE IT IDLE AND RUN PERFECTLY WITH MAX PERFORMANCE.

My 2 Cam choices are:

1. (OEM hyd. roller style) Comp Cams SK08-304-8 XFI Duration: 266/276 (210/220), Lift: .500/.510, LSA:114

2. (retrofit kit) Comp Cams SK12-465-8 Duration: 260/270 (210/218), Lift: .525/.530, LSA:113
Now, which one would you guys prefer?

Would the retrofit have any advantages or the factory style hydraulic roller cam or visa versa?

Both are quite similar and should be good for TBI tuning/MAP purposes I hope.

Any suggestions for a different cam choice?

Which brings me to my next bigger question: TUNING - I have the Moates APU1 and I’m all ready to go with TunerPro RT and the Moates G1 Adapter. However, I have never tuned any type of fuel injection or burned chips or anything like that. Do you guys have some experience with tuning TBI?

My main question concerns the tuning. I really need someone with experience to help my tune this beast perfectly. Does anyone know who I can contact?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(OEM hyd. roller style)
I'm not sure what you mean, these truck engines didn't come will roller cams until the 96 Vortec. Your block may not have the bosses for the spyder, if it does you'll probably have to drill and tap them.

My main question concerns the tuning. I really need someone with experience to help my tune this beast perfectly
You can try dave w from Old School EFI or someone over at;

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean, these truck engines didn't come will roller cams until the 96 Vortec. Your block may not have the bosses for the spyder, if it does you'll probably have to drill and tap them.

You can try dave w from Old School EFI or someone over at;

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php
Its actually a GMP create engine that was stuffed in there back in 2016. So it might be a roller ready block. I need to pull off the intake and take a look. Or do you know of any way to check if it's a roller block without having to pull the intake?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to pull off the intake and take a look. Or do you know of any way to check if it's a roller block without having to pull the intake?
Can't help you there unless you can take the casting # off the block and do some research?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its actually a GMP create engine that was stuffed in there back in 2016. So it might be a roller ready block. I need to pull off the intake and take a look. Or do you know of any way to check if it's a roller block without having to pull the intake?

I had a 350 TBI 1-ton crate engine in my 83 G20 van for years. It was a fully machined roller cam engine with flat tappet cam and lifters. I put a stock 96 LT4 cam into it before it was a year old.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last 2 engines I have built have had Rhoads variable lifters in them. They have allowed me to up the cam a decent amount and still have great idle and low-speed manners. The downside is they make noise but no more than a properly lashed solid lifter cam. I had a 305 with a 218/218 cam in it. It would pull 14 in/hg of vacuum @ 750 rpm. I had a cheap mellings lifter fail by collapsing. I swapped a set of Rhoads lifters on the already broken in flat tappet cam. It was a bit of a gamble but the throttle response increased noticeably as did the low-end torque. Idle vacuum improved to 18 in/hg @ 700 rpm. I had to retune the fuel tables. It was a little lopey with a cold engine but once it got a little heat in it and started idling down it ran very smoothly for a 218/218 cam on a 110 LSA in a 305. The 305 eventually killed the 4L60E behind it. With the rhoads lifters the 305 had no issue pulling the Tahoe down the highway in OD with the converter locked at 1,700 rpm @ 70. With the standard lifters it would often hunt for lockup at that speed.

Last edited: