Burned Valve and a lifter problem

How would you spend my money? (Approx. $2500)

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2500 Dave

Reaction score
Well, I did it. 220K on the ticker and I burned a valve on the CCSB L31. It's had a very very slight miss in it on #6 for a little while, but to be honest, I was in denial. After pulling the tractor a few times this past month all over the place for friends and odd jobs etc, I definitely know I've done it in.

In addition to the burned valve, I also believe I have a lifter that has also gone bad.

So here's the deal. I have access to another vehicle to daily drive, but I don't want to be down too terribly long. I could order new assembled heads and swap them out in a day and be back on the road quickly and on the cheap. I'm just scared the bad lifter has screwed up the cam profile. Not to mention, the motor has 220K, so what will be next?

Or, I can just get a crate L31 for a little over $2000 and swap the whole thing out. This way, I know EVERYTHING is new and right, and I get a warranty for 3 years and 100K miles.

I'm willing to spend in the neighborhood of $2500. I don't want to build anything crazy. I tow a tractor around, and it's a daily driver. No racing, big tires, big lifts, or anything else.

Right now I'm leaning towards the crate motor just as a piece of mind with a Black Bear computer, and be done with it. What do you guys think?

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know, $2500 is not a lot for peace of mind. And it's the price difference that counts. What would it cost to pull the heads, buy new or rebuilt, a gasket set, and have them put on? And what if there is a cam problem, that will add quite a bit to the cost and the time.

Not my truck, but I'd sure go for peace of mind.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If piece of mind is the biggest factor, put a longblock in and be done. If it were mine, I would pull the heads and inspect the pistons and bores, and pull the lifters and inspect them as well. If the rollers are in good shape with no slack, no galling/pitting/flaking of the roller surface, and the cam lobes look good, then reassemble and run it. Or put a set of LS7 lifters in it (yes they fit, as they are one of the only things LS and LT motors share) for about $130 and call it good. Send the heads out for a magnaflux and valve job, reassemble with fresh gaskets, and you are on your way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
How is the oil consumption? How do the plugs look? Have you checked the compression? I know you have one cylinder out of whack due to a burnt valve, but how about the rest?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If piece of mind is the biggest factor, put a longblock in and be done. If it were mine, I would pull the heads and inspect the pistons and bores, and pull the lifters and inspect them as well. If the rollers are in good shape with no slack, no galling/pitting/flaking of the roller surface, and the cam lobes look good, then reassemble and run it. Or put a set of LS7 lifters in it (yes they fit, as they are one of the only things LS and LT motors share) for about $130 and call it good. Send the heads out for a magnaflux and valve job, reassemble with fresh gaskets, and you are on your way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Exactly what I would be doing.

K2500 Dave

Reaction score
How is the oil consumption? How do the plugs look? Have you checked the compression? I know you have one cylinder out of whack due to a burnt valve, but how about the rest?

Oil consumption is non-existent. It doesn't burn ANY! Oil stays clean between changes, and with the exception of the lifter / burnt valve noise, the bottom end sounds silky smooth. Compression is good in the other cylinders.

I appreciate the thoughts guys. I'm thinking..... I may grab my loaner truck, tear into the old motor, and then go from there. I'm not hunting big horsepower, so that's why I'm torn.

K2500 Dave

Reaction score
You know, $2500 is not a lot for peace of mind. And it's the price difference that counts. What would it cost to pull the heads, buy new or rebuilt, a gasket set, and have them put on? And what if there is a cam problem, that will add quite a bit to the cost and the time.

Not my truck, but I'd sure go for peace of mind.

Pulling the heads wont cost me anything other than new gaskets etc. New heads run around $340-$360 each (assembled.) I've got access to a full shop and professional help if I need it, so labor isn't what I'm worried about. I'm with you though... If the lifter went so bad that it screwed the cam lobes, then I'm definitely going crate motor because it would just be easier.

I could always go the crate motor, then sell off the motor as-is, or rebuild it and sell it to recoup some of my costs.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
My luck, I'd button it up with new heads and something else would go wrong. I'd be thinking real hard about a longblock, an oil cooler line flush, radiator flush, and an S10 torque converter. That converter with a tune would make a night and day difference between a tired old motor and a fresh one...especially for your application.

K2500 Dave

Reaction score
I've not heard of the S-10 converter. I'll look it up. Something that will withstand towing in a 4L80E?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Oh man, never mind. I spaced on the "2500" part here. You can't run an S10 converter, you have a 4L80E. Only works for us light duty guys with 4L60E's. Sorry about that.