built 406 or mild 350 w/whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an engine builder tell me something I thought was very interesting. Go to the drag strip, and see what the big boys are running, big blocks. I'm not building a drag truck/motor. There is alot of hills where I live and need the torque to help pull em. Actually had another VERY knowledgeable engine builder say the same thing. He's in a drag area too....

I hate harley's too lol, not a fan of crotch rockets too, but I have one of these lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If we lived close to each other we could know for sure which of us is right. I'll take a screamer in a drag race against a tq monster and drive right around it. You guys sound like harley riders talking to crotch rocket riders lolololololol

I never mentioned a drag race from a staged launch ding-a-ling. You want to compare a cruiser to a sport bike? Different bikes for different purposes but you can hot rod anything including a 5hp Briggs. Lets compare apples to apples. I can build an 80ci Harley that makes 75hp that will outrun an 80ci making 100hp, and do it all day long. How does that happen? Get your head wrapped around what torque curve and average torque across rpm is and build or chose the engine that is suitable for the purpose. You can't launch a trans brake or load a converter from 5mph.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had an engine builder tell me something I thought was very interesting. Go to the drag strip, and see what the big boys are running, big blocks. I'm not building a drag truck/motor. There is alot of hills where I live and need the torque to help pull em. Actually had another VERY knowledgeable engine builder say the same thing. He's in a drag area too....

I hate harley's too lol, not a fan of crotch rockets too, but I have one of these lol
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, big blocks and big inch small blocks are killing it at the track. I don't keep up with ls stuff but I'm sure they're stroking them too.

That's a tough looking little rig. I hate Harley's these days too, well street bikes in general.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can drill Vortec heads to work on a 400, right? If so, my vote is 400 with Whipple. I took my 1500 down to MI for the first time with the blower this year and DAMN did it run! I love the way the thing delivers power even up here in CO. I've driven a 6.0 truck and just don't like the way it delivers power. I'll gladly lose a drag race to one so I can tow locked up in OD and not require a downshift for it to get out of its own way.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a matter of drilling the steam holes, and milling off the snout of the balancer for the relucter wheel. I wish I knew someone that put a whipple on a large inched engine. I was told the bigger the motor the less the boost. I can put a smaller pulley on the whipple, then get underdriven crank pulley to spin it faster. I was also told a factory 400 block ain't gonna like boost. I quite don't understand this cause the whipple is designed for STOCK motor, and before the LS cracked laced cool aid came out there were boosted small blocks. Lextech boosted a stock 305. But, when talking to an engine builder, I tend to heed to what he says, hes been doing it for a LONG TIME.

On a sorta side note, been reading on 6.0 builds. Course there all carb'd, but they make great power, but for what was done not impressed with the torque. They were all more horse than torque, not really what I'm after....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Aren't the 400 cylinder walls known to be thin? That may be why they say not to boost a 400. It's true that cubes eat blower boost, but so does a free flowing exhaust. That doesn't mean it's still not helping. My motor only peaked around 6# of boost in MI pulled down. Here in CO it's 4#.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with .030 over it will still cool. I was told the boost will split the block. But i find that hard to believe, even with 10lbs boost. Whatever I do, it's gonna be a long term project, I just don't make the money that I used to. Job is easy, benny's are great, just the pay sucks. I get some OT in the winter, but our house needs some work, and I pay for the pellets for heating. Roughly $300/ton, about month n half or so, hard to save money. I'm really leaning towards the 406 ramjet for the Tahoe and the 454 for the Yukon. I think if I sweet talk the wifey she let me barrow the money till I can go thru all the crap I have and see what I can sell. Maybe tell her forget Xmas for me this year lol. She is putting up my 30x40 garage....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can drill Vortec heads to work on a 400, right?

Just a matter of drilling the steam holes
...and a hole for the cooling system bypass. The magazines don't mention that detail.

You'd only HAVE to drill one hole in the right-side head, but you might as well drill both heads so you don't run into trouble two-five-seven years from now if you'd happen to swap heads left-to-right. Use the 400cid head gasket as a template.