built 406 or mild 350 w/whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lost oil pressure too, so 99.9% its inside. I had the bolts loosen up on the flexplate, it sounds like a chirp more than a knock. But I wish that's all it was tho lol

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a reason GM dropped the 8.1, and it's because the 6 liter makes similar enough power that it became irrelevant. LS based engines are cheap, efficient, and we'll supported by the aftermarket.
You can certainly make power with a big block, but you don't need one to make big power like back in the day.
Technology bro....
Your looking at the wrong power, torque matters. The Hp does you no good if you can't get to it. I don't care for how an LS makes power either.

The big blocks faded out with the popularity of the diesels for economy, both engines that produce big torque at low rpm. A 383 stroker fits right in here.

I have a 19 silverado with the 285hp rated 4.3, my 200hp 5.7tbi with 290k miles will out tow it. The 285 hp @ 5300rpm sounds nice but it does me no good even with 6 speeds at the boat ramp when the converter locks up before I get into the torque curve.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!! All that power don't mean **** if can't get it off the line. Torque moves you, horsepower gets you there. But build a motor for torque and horsepower will follow. Inless gonna put a turbo or blower on an LS, I'm just not impressed with them. Buddy has one, and said doesn't tow nearly as good as a 454, and gets the same if not WORSE mileage than a 454. Check out Richard Holdener's youtube channel, he compares a 4.8 with a 454. Not really an accurate one, the LS was still injected but the 454 was carbed. Granted not much of a difference but still. They made very similar power, course torque was much more on the '54. But WHERE they made the power was interesting.....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!! All that power don't mean **** if can't get it off the line. Torque moves you, horsepower gets you there. But build a motor for torque and horsepower will follow. Inless gonna put a turbo or blower on an LS, I'm just not impressed with them. Buddy has one, and said doesn't tow nearly as good as a 454, and gets the same if not WORSE mileage than a 454. Check out Richard Holdener's youtube channel, he compares a 4.8 with a 454. Not really an accurate one, the LS was still injected but the 454 was carbed. Granted not much of a difference but still. They made very similar power, course torque was much more on the '54. But WHERE they made the power was interesting.....

Build torque and let the horsepower fall where it may always wins on the street. From a 5mph roll 450ft lbs has left the scene while 500hp is trying to load up against the stall converter. Everytime. Not that you're going to street racing your truck, but if you do get some video. lol

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fellas, a 6.0 came stock in a 3500 hd cclbd, making 30 lb/ft less tq than a 98 454, but more hp. So GM thinks a LS small block is enough. Yes, I know that peak tq comes on earlier in the big block, but you're only going to notice that pulling max weight. Which if you were serious about, you'd have a diesel anyway....
Not trying to get into an internet argument, like I said, do what makes you happy, but saying stuff like LS motors are peaky like 2 strokes is just funny to me.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in later years they have more than 4 speeds. My 08 Tundra is 370/381 I think, but has I think 7 speed trans and 4.30s, even with the 35s it will **** n git. I'm not saying LSs are garbage, just I don't want hi RPM power. I want it down low where it's needed. I don't plan on hauling or pulling anything, if anything will be 2 ATV's on a sled trailer, maybe 3k tops. I had a ton of pellets on it, and even the Tahoe did fine, trailer didn't like it but did Ok lol. It's hard to realize what little torque difference can make a difference. Look at the 350 vortec, 255 horse 330 torque. 454 is 290/410. That's not a huge difference. My 97 was bone stock, just stomping on the gas would send the tires up in smoke. Any 350 I had wouldn't do that. A 6.0 might make lil less torque, but at double the RPM where the 454 makes it.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went backwards (to my obs k2500) because I got sick of towing at 4000 rpms. Even with stock exhaust, the engine whine was irritating when driving for hours at a time. Lower rpms with torque for me too!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build torque and let the horsepower fall where it may always wins on the street. From a 5mph roll 450ft lbs has left the scene while 500hp is trying to load up against the stall converter. Everytime. Not that you're going to street racing your truck, but if you do get some video. lol
If we lived close to each other we could know for sure which of us is right. I'll take a screamer in a drag race against a tq monster and drive right around it. You guys sound like harley riders talking to crotch rocket riders lolololololol