built 406 or mild 350 w/whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non-Vortec water pumps have a small hole on the right side that leads to the impeller suction side. The non-Vortec blocks have a double-drilled (intersecting holes) hole from the passenger side deck surface to the water pump gasket area.

Non-Vortec heads and head gasket have a matching hole, so coolant from the right side head is routed back to the water pump. Allows circulation when the thermostat is closed.

Vortec heads and water pump don't have the matching holes, although a few Vortec blocks have the hole. Therefore, you always see external bypass systems on Vortec small-blocks.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bypass goes from the intake to the water pump, so what hole am I supposed to drill??

Ah wait nevermind, in the block where the water pump bolts on...got it lol

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never mentioned a drag race from a staged launch ding-a-ling. You want to compare a cruiser to a sport bike? Different bikes for different purposes but you can hot rod anything including a 5hp Briggs. Lets compare apples to apples. I can build an 80ci Harley that makes 75hp that will outrun an 80ci making 100hp, and do it all day long. How does that happen? Get your head wrapped around what torque curve and average torque across rpm is and build or chose the engine that is suitable for the purpose. You can't launch a trans brake or load a converter from 5mph.
Ding a ling? Snappy comeback. You're a funny guy.

Build what you want, I've already built what I want. Bike or car, dig or roll, cheeseburgers or stacks, track or street. Come get you some.
I've been racing since the 80's, I've learned some things along the way, one of those things is to embrace technology. Another is to know when a discussion is headed for an argument. So on that note, have a great day

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I was gonna build a drag motor, or had money, Id prolly build an 427 or bigger LS with a hair dryer or two. But I barely make enough money to cover bills, and with the added expenses for going LS, can't do it right now. Plus I'd like to learn more about em. I can and have built small and big blocks, just have experience with LSs. I dont want to start a pissing match either, but in my experience with LSs, Im not impressed with em.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an engine builder tell me something I thought was very interesting. Go to the drag strip, and see what the big boys are running, big blocks. I'm not building a drag truck/motor. There is alot of hills where I live and need the torque to help pull em. Actually had another VERY knowledgeable engine builder say the same thing. He's in a drag area too....

I hate harley's too lol, not a fan of crotch rockets too, but I have one of these lol
You must be registered for see images attach
Love that rig. If it goes half as good as it looks, it'll be awesome.

Big blocks at the track are spinning over 8k in most cases, that's how they're making power, but they don't have to live. A big block that can rev like a small block is hard to beat!

I agree that LS motors don't make tq as low as a big block, my whole point was simply not to overlook them for cheap and easy power. If they aren't going to work for you, cool.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's a 1000, bout 100 horse. Doesn't sound like much but on the trail or hill or whatever it can be a handful if don't know what your doing. There is a sticker that pretty much says and inexperienced rider driving like an ass maybe result in death lol. I've been riding off n on for over 30 years, machine this size for 6-7 i think.

Don't need to do much to make power with a big block. Had a builder tell me "you could put a flower pot in a bore and still make power" lol

Old 96

Reaction score
I don't have a build thread or signature or anything like that. I have a 96 4 door lifted Yukon that has 68k with a Whipple supercharger. I bought it dirt cheap, knowing it needed motor/trans. I bought one with 138k, ran friggin' great, and was impressed with what a stock motor would do with the 'charger, trans was the biggest issue, needs to shift firmer. Anywho, the motor went again, dunno why, developed a rod knock. Buddy has a motor from a 1999 crew cab, supposedly a 4 bolt. I also have a 98 4 door tahoe 2wd that I lowered little bit. That runs great, even with 205k on the clock, I want to build a motor for each of them, but not sure what way to go. I have a 406 block ready to go, just need rotating assembly. I also have a Ramjet intake. My thinking was build the 406 with the Ramjet for the Tahoe, and making a 383 for the Yukon, leaving the charger. But I don't think there is a whole lot to do with the charger to get more out of it, the bigger the motor the less boost it will make. Then i found a complete 98 truck with a running driving 454, trans has issues but that's not a big deal. I'd put the 454 in the Yukon, since it's lifted, but gonna be doing an SAS on it, prolly next summer when the garage goes up and have a concrete floor. Which leaves me to figure what to do with the whipple. I was advised not to put it on the 406, even tho won't make much boost, and would be tough to hook up with the Ramjet. Would look cool as hell under the hood tho. **** part is I'd have to sell something to get the 454, current job don't pay **** to save enough. But really don't wanna part with the charger. So, put the 454 in the Yukon, or keep the whipple? Or build the 406/Ramjet for the Yukon and put the 454 in the Tahoe? Hate being broke....

I'll weigh in on this one as I've actually done what you are asking.... I have a 383 with the whipple. 411 programmed, intercooled and spraying meth. The little 1.6L whipple was never meant to be on a 383. Sure you can pulley down and spin the blower faster, but then you start heating you intake air temps. I originally tuned my truck non intercooled and sprayed meth for octane and cooling. Had to pulley down to a 2.5" pulley just to make around 7 lbs of boost. Ended up making almost 500 ft lbs at the tire at a measly 3500 rpm. But it was a one hit wonder. Stand on it once and the IATs shoot up. The computer pulls timing and the next time you step into it, you may as well be stepping in mud. No timing, no power, that simple. I was lucky enough to pick up 99bluetahoe's intercooled setup. Tuned with the same 2.5" pulley, I made identical #s as before. Actually was up a little since I could now run full timing. And I was down to 4.5 lbs of boost from 7 lbs. I since have made a 2 3/8" pulley to get me back to 6 lbs. But that is at the end of the road for the 1.6 whipple. I'm already slightly overspinning the blower past its max rpm.

But short answer, yes 383 and whipple with the right tune, converter will yield you big block torque and will move your Yukon just fine. A 400 would suck up all the boost and be more problem than its worth.
Hope this helps!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll weigh in on this one as I've actually done what you are asking.... I have a 383 with the whipple. 411 programmed, intercooled and spraying meth. The little 1.6L whipple was never meant to be on a 383. Sure you can pulley down and spin the blower faster, but then you start heating you intake air temps. I originally tuned my truck non intercooled and sprayed meth for octane and cooling. Had to pulley down to a 2.5" pulley just to make around 7 lbs of boost. Ended up making almost 500 ft lbs at the tire at a measly 3500 rpm. But it was a one hit wonder. Stand on it once and the IATs shoot up. The computer pulls timing and the next time you step into it, you may as well be stepping in mud. No timing, no power, that simple. I was lucky enough to pick up 99bluetahoe's intercooled setup. Tuned with the same 2.5" pulley, I made identical #s as before. Actually was up a little since I could now run full timing. And I was down to 4.5 lbs of boost from 7 lbs. I since have made a 2 3/8" pulley to get me back to 6 lbs. But that is at the end of the road for the 1.6 whipple. I'm already slightly overspinning the blower past its max rpm.

But short answer, yes 383 and whipple with the right tune, converter will yield you big block torque and will move your Yukon just fine. A 400 would suck up all the boost and be more problem than its worth.
Hope this helps!!

Even with the high IATs it's still faster than NA.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kinda forgot bout IATs. I had a link to some coolers but don’t remember where or who it was. It crazy expensive either. I think with the ramjet n it can swing it full roller, I think it pull just as hard with a mild 350 with the whipple. I’ll keep it on the shelf for another project. I bought whole truck with whipple cheaper ther buying the whipple alone.