built 406 or mild 350 w/whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been doing some reading, and didn't know that some 706 heads are known for cracking. Need to find the symbol that looks like a battery, and if it has that, it's cast by Castec, and seems every one cracks at some point. I didn't hear of this, so went and checked mine, sure as ****, made by Castec. Guy prolly knew that, prolly why gave em to me. But not a huge deal, not all 706s have that problem, but local yard has a set of 799s, so might grab them, $65 I think for the pair....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been doing some reading, and didn't know that some 706 heads are known for cracking. Need to find the symbol that looks like a battery, and if it has that, it's cast by Castec, and seems every one cracks at some point. I didn't hear of this, so went and checked mine, sure as ****, made by Castec. Guy prolly knew that, prolly why gave em to me. But not a huge deal, not all 706s have that problem, but local yard has a set of 799s, so might grab them, $65 I think for the pair....

I would grab some 862s. More compression and better low-midrange power. The 862s can get close to 500 hp the way they are, smaller intake valves and everything.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Arent they similar to the 706s? Thought I read that somewhere. I believe I thought I saw a set of 862s at the junkyard.

Lil side note, but has anyone heard bout changing the VIN in the LS's ECM to match the vehicle? In NYS 96 and newer get plugged in to a computer for inspection. Can't have any CEL on, and over 2002 can't have a monitor ready. But when you plug into the computer, it will display the VIN of the vehicle getting inspected. So as long as can change the VIN, getting an inspection shouldn't be too difficult. Went to talk to a friend thats been messing with these for awhile, he hasn't heard that it's doable. Also says to use the Holley system to control the engine side. Trying to figure this crap out....