Broken Lifter Spider Mounting Hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it were me and:
-the block was already machined
-i had my heart set on a roller cam

I would put the "retro" linkbar rollers in so I could sleep at night.

if you're cam isn't bought yet and you are the type that loses sleep easily, just go hydraulic flat tappet

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it were me and:

if you're cam isn't bought yet and you are the type that loses sleep easily, just go hydraulic flat tappet
valid solution, but it doesn't go with, I want it all, I want it now, and I want it cheap.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
valid solution, but it doesn't go with, I want it all, I want it now, and I want it cheap.
What the hell is your problem dude? If you don't like my project or how I build it, then don't follow the damn thing. There's plenty of others here with valid advice to contribute. If all you're going to do is complain that I'm not approaching it the way you would, you can simply scroll on.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it were me and:

I do already have the cam, I was actually working on installing the roller lifters for it when I broke the boss.

I've come up with another possible solution. I'm thinking of possibly combining the epoxy and stud idea, then putting a metal sleeve around the boss that would protect from any epoxy that might break down from releasing chunks into the engine. That bolt really shouldn't have a lot of stress to deal with. I've been debating on the link bar lifters, but I've seen a lot of complaints about them being noisy with a high rate of failure. Of course there's a bias for that kind of thing with online reviews anyway, but I may try this first. At worst I'm not happy with how strong the stud mount seems, then I can change course and pick up the retrofit lifters.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What the hell is your problem dude? If you don't like my project or how I build it, then don't follow the damn thing. There's plenty of others here with valid advice to contribute. If all you're going to do is complain that I'm not approaching it the way you would, you can simply scroll on.
not complaining man, not hardly, you're money spend or don't spend it how you wish, Just hate to see you make similar decisions as a another member here and end up in a similar situation that's costing a bunch of money, None of us can save you from yourself. i was looking for a confirmation or denial in post 40.Instead you got mouth.

Last edited:

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not complaining man, not hardly, you money spend or don't spend it how you wish, Just hate to see youy make similar decisions as a nother membger here and end up in a similar situyation, None of us can save from yourself.
This is the third time today you've felt the need to be critical of something I've asked, or how I'm approaching a problem, because you think I'm being too cheap for your liking. I don't have friends that are into engine building, or family to turn to for learning these things, so I come here to ask all the stupid little questions you've felt the need to criticize me for because I'm just "too cheap to do it right". I just spent $2500 on brand new tires and exhaust in December, then found out I had a coolant leak in a cylinder the day after I got it back home. I've been ripped off on buying an entire Vortec engine, I have 8 used Vortec heads in my garage right now that are cracked, another engine I bought because I had to learn the hard way that LT1 blocks aren't a direct swap for almost every other 350 block. Now I'm in for about $750 for brand new Vortec heads, and around $400 for a camshaft and it's support system. That's not even taking into account the $400 actually good deal I found on a GM Performance Parts TBI intake, and sending in an ECM for the EBL upgrade. Forgive me if I'm trying the best I can to find a cost-effective solution to fix these little things and TRY not to break something else to make this project even worse, because I've had a hell of a string of bad luck. At this point, getting on here to ask these stupid little questions is the only way I can learn between the lines of what I can Google so I HOPEFULLY figure out how to do this right.

You've given me good advice, and I do appreciate that, but popping into my threads with snide comments just isn't productive. I get that I'm stupid, but coming here to ask for advice is the closest I can get to moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the third time today you've felt the need to be critical of something I've asked, or how I'm approaching a problem, because you think I'm being too cheap for your liking. I don't have friends that are into engine building, or family to turn to for learning these things, so I come here to ask all the stupid little questions you've felt the need to criticize me for because I'm just "too cheap to do it right". I just spent $2500 on brand new tires and exhaust in December, then found out I had a coolant leak in a cylinder the day after I got it back home. I've been ripped off on buying an entire Vortec engine, I have 8 used Vortec heads in my garage right now that are cracked, another engine I bought because I had to learn the hard way that LT1 blocks aren't a direct swap for almost every other 350 block. Now I'm in for about $750 for brand new Vortec heads, and around $400 for a camshaft and it's support system. That's not even taking into account the $400 actually good deal I found on a GM Performance Parts TBI intake, and sending in an ECM for the EBL upgrade. Forgive me if I'm trying the best I can to find a cost-effective solution to fix these little things and TRY not to break something else to make this project even worse, because I've had a hell of a string of bad luck. At this point, getting on here to ask these stupid little questions is the only way I can learn between the lines of what I can Google so I HOPEFULLY figure out how to do this right.

You've given me good advice, and I do appreciate that, but popping into my threads with snide comments just isn't productive. I get that I'm stupid, coming here to ask for advice is the closest I can get to moving in the right direction.
If i wanted to criticize you for being cheap it would have been in the "cheap cam" thread. I didn't do that I answered you quiestion not only once but clarified it in a second response, and it isn't about being cheap, sometimes you have to spend the bucks to do the right job when it's necessary, nary a single post after I said either way or method used that cracked up bolt boss needs to be dressed/polished which makes it almost nothing to attach to. Your seem to the one who hasn't figured it out yet. make your decision, take your chances, not much else to say as I have provided as much insight as I can in explaining a method that I would be 100% behind.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not all of us had friends/family that knew how to do this stuff either. a lot of reading and trail+error. i am going back 20 years ago when I started doing this stuff, yes the internet was around but information was scarce (anyone remember ever reading through thousands of mailing list emails?). forums were around but you didn't dare ask a question if you hadn't done your homework. there definitely wasn't YouTube around which gives people with zero experience confidence. not trying to be a jerk but a lot of this bad luck is avoidable just need to be more methodical rather than trying to get to the finish line in such a hurry.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not all of us had friends/family that knew how to do this stuff either. a lot of reading and trail+error. i am going back 20 years ago when I started doing this stuff, yes the internet was around but information was scarce (anyone remember ever reading through thousands of mailing list emails?). forums were around but you didn't dare ask a question if you hadn't done your homework. there definitely wasn't YouTube around which gives people with zero experience confidence. not trying to be a jerk but a lot of this bad luck is avoidable just need to be more methodical rather than trying to get to the finish line in such a hurry.
It's not really about getting to the finish line in a hurry, the problem is my work schedule doesn't allow me much time to work on these things and I have to cram as much as possible into the time I do get. Most of the time when I post here I'm trying to figure out a problem I ran into earlier in the day, and I don't have it in front of me to experiment with. I genuinely do appreciate your help, and the other help I've had here from Erik, L31 and everyone else who went out of their way.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I started messing around....what internet....