Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sad day the yards are dwindling

Victory closed up
Northshore is now only for evanston impound
Hope auto parts city will survive
"What cuts into the business is that there are less and less of the people who are do-it-yourselfers."

The yards are also under constant attack from multiple angles. EPA and real estate development are probably the biggest.

If I wanted to lend a conspiracy theory tone to the situation, I'd say it's in the government and big business's interest that you don't repair your old vehicle, and instead replace it.. or ride the bus.

Richard

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"What cuts into the business is that there are less and less of the people who are do-it-yourselfers."

The yards are also under constant attack from multiple angles. EPA and real estate development are probably the biggest.

If I wanted to lend a conspiracy theory tone to the situation, I'd say it's in the government and big business's interest that you don't repair your old vehicle, and instead replace it.. or ride the bus.

Richard
Have to agree on that

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also any members of the forum who works the salvage industy, towing and or other related industries.
I want to hear your posts and stories

Dud1f3r

Reaction score
New on the forum, but pretty avid Junkyard go-er. I've been told by the staff at our local junkyard that if you're buying a big ticket item (engine or trans), they don't care if you tear up everything else. They said they usually get rid of cars with their engines pulled ASAP since that's where they make the most money vs it sitting on the lot taking up space for little things to be pulled off them, that maybe make them back a couple hundred at most.
Now, if you're getting small stuff, or interior stuff, yes they don't want you tearing up their ****. If you come for an interior button, don't tear the door cards ($30 a pop around me) apart and rip the dash ($80 part) to shreds for a button they're gonna sell to you for $5. But if you're getting an engine ($200-400ish, depending on cylinder count and where you get it), they don't mind if you tear up the front end ($100ish in parts) to make it easier to pull off.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New on the forum, but pretty avid Junkyard go-er. I've been told by the staff at our local junkyard that if you're buying a big ticket item (engine or trans), they don't care if you tear up everything else. They said they usually get rid of cars with their engines pulled ASAP since that's where they make the most money vs it sitting on the lot taking up space for little things to be pulled off them, that maybe make them back a couple hundred at most.
Now, if you're getting small stuff, or interior stuff, yes they don't want you tearing up their ****. If you come for an interior button, don't tear the door cards ($30 a pop around me) apart and rip the dash ($80 part) to shreds for a button they're gonna sell to you for $5. But if you're getting an engine ($200-400ish, depending on cylinder count and where you get it), they don't mind if you tear up the front end ($100ish in parts) to make it easier to pull off.
Interesting insight

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to a Pull--A-Part in Cleveland a few years back. Looking for the dash trim pieces around and or behind ashtray and another unrelated interior part. In blue,,,,, of course.

While memory fails me on the specific parts, I won’t forget the visit. I took a friend who had never been to Pull-a-part. As we approached the first GMT 400, which happened to have a blue interior, he asked, “what are we looking for, anyway?” I look in the cab (no door - no seats), and there sits the parts I needed in perfect condition on the floor of the drivers side. I picked them up and said, “these”! And then we left.

For me it was the shortest junkyard trip ever. For my buddy, well,,, he will forever live with a highly distorted view of getting parts from a junk yard.

A huge THANK YOU goes out to the “Galant” who carefully disassembled the dash as he digging out his part. I have made sure to pay-it-forward on every yard trip ever since.