Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you go to a self-serve junkyard, keep in mind that most of the parts on a given vehicle are still in good condition. We scrap cars when there's very little that's actually wrong with them. It was really eye-opening when I've traveled to Central and South America. There are no junkyards. Cars get parted out and recycled. In Guatemala I saw old solid axle rearends re-purposed into parking bollards. They planted them in concrete and filled them with concrete. They value every part, even if it's broken.

Breaking parts unnecessarily is utter d!ckishness. That Eric the Car Guy video seems over the top, but I've seen everything he exampled.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you go to a self-serve junkyard, keep in mind that most of the parts on a given vehicle are still in good condition. We scrap cars when there's very little that's actually wrong with them. It was really eye-opening when I've traveled to Central and South America. There are no junkyards. Cars get parted out and recycled. In Guatemala I saw old solid axle rearends re-purposed into parking bollards. They planted them in concrete and filled them with concrete. They value every part, even if it's broken.

Breaking parts unnecessarily is utter d!ckishness. That Eric the Car Guy video seems over the top, but I've seen everything he exampled.
Very true
Seeing how people whom are less blessed than us can make do is interesting

ChRoNo16

Reaction score
There is, officially, no such thing as a "self-service" Treasure Yard around here. The big yards have actual staff that are supposed to retrieve the parts you ask for, and then the customer pays for the part...and the labor to remove it. I have watched his employees carve-up three parts in order to sell one. You want a rear axle, for example--they'll Oxy-Acetylene the shocks, brake hose, park brake cables, and control arms or leaf springs to get it away from the body.

I currently work for a yard, and we do just cut off axles, although not with torches anymore, most decent yards have moved away from that practice as the fire risk is big.
I mean, theres a lot that we dont sell, so it isnt considered as something to be "saved" for instance, a shock, we wont resell them or brake parts, so if they get damaged we dont care.leaf springs we only cut if they are junk. I wish I had 400's here, sadly they are considered "Too old" for this yard.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently work for a yard, and we do just cut off axles, although not with torches anymore, most decent yards have moved away from that practice as the fire risk is big.
I mean, theres a lot that we dont sell, so it isnt considered as something to be "saved" for instance, a shock, we wont resell them or brake parts, so if they get damaged we dont care.leaf springs we only cut if they are junk. I wish I had 400's here, sadly they are considered "Too old" for this yard.
Interesting insight, never really paid attention to the behind the scenes at the yards. I know of late model yards out there. Also the ones that specialize in the classics.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Advertising for Victory Auto Wrecking. Only time I think I ever seen a TV ad for a wrecking yard