Brakes and powersteering both out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ginoz28

Reaction score
Hello I recently found a crewcab dually and had so.e problems. Changed starter and waterpump and that part is good but the power steering and brakes are not being assisted "very hard steering and breaking". Im guessing it can be only two things pump, hydoboost or ?. Any help will be appreciated [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must have low pressure. Check the fluid level first. I'm on my second PS pump and 3rd Hydroboost unit at 160Kmi. My hoses are showing some leak-through. I had a mechanic do the pump because a puller is needed. Did my own HB. If you tackle HB there's a spring clip you won't want to lose.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hello I recently found a crewcab dually and had so.e problems. Changed starter and waterpump and that part is good but the power steering and brakes are not being assisted "very hard steering and breaking". Im guessing it can be only two things pump, hydoboost or ?. Any help will be appreciated [emoji120]

Year, model, etc. would be helpful but since you did mention hydroboost, it's a fairly safe assumption your power steering pump has gone bad. Bad hydroboost would not affect the steering; bad pump would cause hard steering and hard pedal, lack of assist on steering and braking.

Must have low pressure. Check the fluid level first. I'm on my second PS pump and 3rd Hydroboost unit at 160Kmi. My hoses are showing some leak-through. I had a mechanic do the pump because a puller is needed. Did my own HB. If you tackle HB there's a spring clip you won't want to lose.
Just a heads up the puller needed for the p/s pump run you about $50 for a decent one. (Lisle 39000)

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, power steering pump. Mine went out while hauling 3,000 lb of concrete/stone to the landfill. Wasn't fun limping home with load.

Everything looked fine and when I tried to remove the P.S. pulley, the thing slid out with broken shaft!

Make sure you flush old fluid out and bleed the system.

ginoz28

Reaction score
Thanks everyone I guess a new pump is going in. Trying to get on tapatalk all day to see but my internet sucks this weekend

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Around the time my PS failed 2 hoses from the hydroboost sprung a leak. I was leaking like a quart in a 30 mile trip! I changed the first obvious one and then found the second leaking. Somewhere in there I had replaced the hydroboost because it was leaking also.

The Carquest hoses I replaced packaging said to replace ALL of the hoses because they degrade from the inside. They are easy to replace, just need 2 wrenches. Probably a good time to replace/flush the fluid while you are at it. But if they are wet, they may likely spring a leak like mine did.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had two hoses spring leaks at the same time, or close to the same time, I'd be testing the pressure of the pump to see if the pressure regulator was defective and over-pressurizing the system.

ginoz28

Reaction score
Changed powersteering pump and all good. Now brakes and steering is easy. Fluid is tan milky though. Jacked up front and sucked all fluid out of pump and keep turning the to try to get all out. Then filled it again and still the same. Works though