Brakes and powersteering both out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tan fluid? Like the brake fluid and hydraulic fluid mixed? Stop driving it and flush both systems good! Any oil in a brake system will destroy the seals in your calipers. When I was a tech we had a customer service the brake reservoir in his 300ZX with hydraulic fluid. Every seal in the brake system turned to mush.

Maybe the chemistry is different now and you won't have that problem, but I don't want to not mention this and you lose brakes and dork up your truck.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Changed powersteering pump and all good. Now brakes and steering is easy. Fluid is tan milky though. Jacked up front and sucked all fluid out of pump and keep turning the to try to get all out. Then filled it again and still the same. Works though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bleeding the entire system takes a lot of fluid. I normally just buy a gallon of PS fluid to do a flush. On the hydroboost setup you have all of the fluid in the steering portion, plus all of the fluid going to the brake booster...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid is tan milky though. Jacked up front and sucked all fluid out of pump and keep turning the to try to get all out. Then filled it again and still the same. Works though
As said, if you want all the fluid "fresh", you'll need a gallon of fresh fluid, you'd pull the return hose(s) and plug the return nipple(s) on the PS reservoir so that you can pump new fluid through the system while draining the "old" fluid directly to a drain-pan.

Sure the "milky" is not a matter of "aerated"? Maybe if you let the truck sit for a day or two, the fluid would clear up.