Brake Sensitivity, Sudden Stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouF

Reaction score
Drum brakes are self-actuating, meaning that once you press the pedal, the friction material pulls itself tighter.

This is only on the rear shoe due to the orientation with the static pivot point - this is why the rear shoe is longer (more wear). Disk pads also self-actuate at the leading edge.

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the same issue with my brakes locking up in the wet/damp weather, for the first few applications of the pedal. It's been doing it forever years, ever after a rear brake overhaul.

LouF

Reaction score
When I went shoe shopping I didn't see any ceramic.

In my recollection, I tried ceramic pads (or compound with ceramic), and they had WAY less friction when cold (shocked the **** out of me first discovering this). This is in my memory as they are good for high performance in the racing sense - not daily driver. I have stayed away from them, since. FYI.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In my recollection, I tried ceramic pads (or compound with ceramic), and they had WAY less friction when cold (shocked the **** out of me first discovering this). This is in my memory as they are good for high performance in the racing sense - not daily driver. I have stayed away from them, since. FYI.

Ceramic pads, yes. Shoes no.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the compound. The racing compound on my Jag doesn't stop worth a crap cold, but is like dropping an anchor when hot. The street compound on my Mustang is all-around great. I have no idea what my truck has on it, but they're new!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I just think semi-met shoes and pads are a poor choice. They are hard on the rotors/drums. They are a major cause of the evil red/orange brake dust. Most of the brake dust is rotor material!

Saying Ceramic is like saying blue shoes (no pun intended). They come in many shapes and sizes.

I recommend the following from personal experience.

As far as pads the Summit ceramic and the Powerstop Z-16 pads have a crisp initial bite and have a very linear coefficient of friction throughout the whole temp range.

As you go up the Powerstop ladder of pads the Z-23 have a softer hit and grab a little harder when hot.

The Z-26 pads take this a little further and the Z-36 I have on Frank have a VERY soft initial bite (so you don't lock up on ice if you look at the brake pedal:D) but the hotter they get the harder they pull! Just what the doctor ordered for heavy towing. They have exceptional brake feel in my opinion.

Regardless of the pad/shoe you choose bed them in (break in) the way the manufacturer recommends. It really does matter. The brake frictions we have today are very different from the ones from just a few years ago.

LouF

Reaction score
Stopping the truck by shifting into drive is really hard on the transmission.
I thought I have noticed strange and bad things to my transmissions after downshift braking - and have stopped doing that. I have no idea why this except that some force(s) is reversed.