Brake lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k1500girl

Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500, recently the brake lights stopped working including third light. Turning signals and running lights still work. When barley pushing down on brakes they work but any farther to actually engage the brakes they flash on and then stay off.
I checked the bulbs and the fuse they were fine but replaced them anyway. I replaced the brake light switch as well and they’re still not working.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have running lights and turn signals, it's not bulb problem or a fuse problem or a wire problem. It's most likely something to with brake switch, as you have no center light either.

98k1500girl

Reaction score
If you have running lights and turn signals, it's not bulb problem or a fuse problem or a wire problem. It's most likely something to with brake switch, as you have no center light either.
I assumed it was the switched replaced the rest just because I already had the parts. I replaced the switch and still no luck

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Download the service manuals for your truck , search the link in forum. Here's the wire diagram . In book 2 chapter 8A-110-12. Has the diagnosis chart to walk you through it.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Apparently it's a common thing for the brake light switch to go out after the booster is replaced (from what I've heard and read). But not common enough for people to replace the switch when doing the booster (which would be an easier time to get to it!). When the hydro boost unit was replaced on my crew cab, shortly afterwards the brake lights quit working. Replacing the switch fixed them, but I had to practically stand on my head to do it.