Brake lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all 3 brake lights stopped working at the same time. If i barley push down on the brake the lights do come on, if i push down any farther to actually engage the brakes they don’t stay on. I’ve replaced fuses, relay, switch, and check the
all 3 brake lights stopped working at the same time. If i barley push down on the brake the lights do come on, if i push down any farther to actually engage the brakes they don’t stay on. I’ve replaced fuses, relay, switch, and check the bulbs
Here’s some pictures of my switch

Attachments

• 1227B20A-B57A-4991-983A-B840F2F6F0B3.jpeg
    1227B20A-B57A-4991-983A-B840F2F6F0B3.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 50131218-9DCA-40DE-9C9C-D050A02097DE.jpeg
    50131218-9DCA-40DE-9C9C-D050A02097DE.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 17

98k1500girl

Reaction score
Okay it sounds like the problem is with your switch. Like I said I shimmed mine on the end of the brake booster arm granted that yours is a 94-98 obs with the second style of brake light switch. I’ll try to get you some pictures of mine asap.
that would be great thank you

CPrice9720

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem/s. 3rd light works, turn signals, running lights all work and hazard lights also work. Replaced the switch didn't work, 2 other time it did work. Checked fuses, the 10amp inside cab was blown but didn't fix problem when replaced. Pulled relay, check ground (lower right plug) - good. Check hot (lower left plug) - good. Applied braking and checked hot coming from switch (top left plug) - not power. Applied a jumper from lower left plug to top left plug with relay partially installed and lights worked. So seems no power coming from switch to relay. But must have power to switch because 3rd light works when pedal is pressed. I didn't know the brake lights went through cruise control but I will try CC tomorrow to see if it works. Also while hazard lights are on, brake pedal does not stop them from flashing.
Here's an update. Looks as if power is going to the brake switch and contact is working. Power does not feed to relay under hood directly. Looking at he wiring diagram power is routed through the multi-switch ie: turn signal, window shield wiper, cruise control. Evidently there is a number of things that go through the brake switch at different times. As I was checking the 6 wires on the switch, the fuel pump started. So I ordered a new multi-switch hoping that will fix the problem.

98k1500girl

Reaction score
Here's an update. Looks as if power is going to the brake switch and contact is working. Power does not feed to relay under hood directly. Looking at he wiring diagram power is routed through the multi-switch ie: turn signal, window shield wiper, cruise control. Evidently there is a number of things that go through the brake switch at different times. As I was checking the 6 wires on the switch, the fuel pump started. So I ordered a new multi-switch hoping that will fix the problem.

98k1500girl

Reaction score
If possible keep me updated thank you